Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Mystery bathroom leak
Author: TheKs (OH)

About three weeks ago we called the plumber out to snake our tub drain...after 2 hours he couldnt get through it due to the way the pipes were angled.(a bunch of 90 degree angles he said) Our home was built in the late 40s and he said the old galvinized pipes needed to go. They went through our kitchen ceiling, put in pvc piping, checked for leaks and resnaked. 3 days later we had water stains on our ceiling and noticed it was occuring after we showered. We had them cone back out twice and they determined it wasnt the pipes but rather just water leaking over the tub. He suggested a leak guard and went on his way. We recaulked the tub as it was cracked and when its leaking you can see a bit of water in the access panel and a piece of wood is wet that seems to be in that corner. Well i showered after we let the caulking dry a day and there was no water-my husband showered and of course there it was. It has occured after i showered before so i dont think its how he showers. The floor was not wet outside the tub after his shower either. I should add when the plumber just ran the tub and shower to check there was no leak, but as soon as i showered it returned. We are going to recaulk around the faucet and the part where you adjust the water temp/turn it from shower to bath (not sure of name sorry) any other suggestions?! I am so anxious and annoyed by this and im scared of a bigger issue. If its not the pipes what could it be? They also replaced our overflow and put in a drain plug that you twist close instead of the lever we used to use. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Re: Mystery bathroom leak
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If there's an access panel you might watch closely while someones in the shower to determine where the water is coming from. I'd check the overflow gasket closely.

Author: packy (MA)

put a 5-6 inches of water in the tub and let it set. check for leaks.
let the water drain and check for leaks.
this will at least eliminate the drain from the equation.

Author: srloren (CA)

When you shower there are 2 possibilities for water to leak. The drain (waste water)and the valve in the wall which is potable water. It could be the valve in the wall. Is it a single handle valve or two or three handle valve, which could be water leaking from the stem packing? Use mirror and flashlight to try to see exactly where the water is coming from. If you have a single handle valve often the chrome plate can be removed and you can peak into the wall to check for the leak. Good luck

Author: TheKs (OH)

Weve had 2 plumbers out and one was pretty much like i dont know and youll be paying us a few hundred to guess. We had the other company come out that did previous work in tbis area before and they too were dumbfounded. Its not coming from any drain or pipes but this one particular corner. They dripped water there and it leaked. They suggested we recaulk there snd install a shower shield. I took a shower and covered the corner and edge of the tub with a large bath towel as we were not able to caulk that day and there was no water. My husband showered the next day and even with the towel there it was leaking quite a bit...but the towel and floor were dry! We started pouring water along the edge of the tub under the faucet and it leaked-we just recaulked there 2 weeks ago! We cleaned and let it dry prior to caulking and let it set for 24 hours per the caulkings instructions. What is so frustrating is that weve both showered and theres been no sign of the leak and then next shower it starts up again. We can recaulk that side of the tub and floor but if that doesnt solve it im at a loss. The one plumber said next step would be to redo the floor...but what if we spend 5k or more that we dont have and its somehow the tub?! Argh i am going crazy. Everyone says how its so weird how it doesnt happen sometimes then it does. I feel as though we caulked properly but apparently not. I am starting to hate this house and my bathroom i just want to figure this our!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.