Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 pressure from tub is making toilet tank overflow
Author: bjones5000 (TN)

I've never seen this happen. When I turn on the water in the tub upstairs makes the water in the toilet tank where the ball is over flow which causes water to exit the top of the tank. The toilet hasent even been flushed, it just starts to activate on its on. What kind of problem do I have and what should I do?

Re: pressure from tub is making toilet tank overflow
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd say faulty fill valve in the tank, replace with a Fluidmaster 400A.

Ok thanks, I wil try that.

Author: hj (AZ)

Your real problem is that the overflow tube is too high. It should be lower than the opening for the flush lever so the wate could NOT overflow the top of the tank.

I tryed that but when u run water in the tub it makes the tank overflow on its own, "weird" the water is licking threw the sealing down into the living room.

You have a weird, almost incomprehensible, problem that we might have to be there to diagnose, since it should NOT be able to happen the way you describe it.

Im going to try to turn the pressure down and change the float. Hope it works for me thanks.

When you open the tub faucet, THAT reduces the pressure so that may not help the situation.

Ok, I have changed to the fluid master and im hearing a small hiss after the tank is full. The water slowly risese. What could b my problem?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

That would most likely be debris trapped under the seal. Turn the water off, remove the black plastic cap and turn the top of the fill valve 1/4 turn and lift up. Ease the water back on to clear any debris.

Thanks! So I would need to take the fluid master out to do this? Also, it fills up great but the problem is once its done thats when it starts to hiss, then it fills the entire tank over night and it will overflow onto the floor. Would that still b the same problem? I may have not explained it correctly the first time
I do have the valve turned off for now until I hear from u, THANKS

Edited 1 times.

One more thing, the fluid master 400a is brand new. It was doing it b for I installed and after.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

When the fill valve is hissing like that, it is something preventing the gasket from seating and it is leaking water past. It can happen on a brand new valve when little pieces of rubber from the stop dislodge and get wedged in the fill valve. you can turn the water off, disassemble and flush the valve, then reassemble in about 2 minutes for a pro, or probably 4 minutes for a layman.

Ok thank u so much. smiling smiley

Ok thank u so much

Edited 1 times.

Re: Ok thank u so much. smiling smiley
Author: ravi102769 (VA)

Can you post a pic of the inside of the tank?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.