Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower stall leak fix and Tiling. BIG GAP!
Author: kirbyand (NY)

[@#$%&[s1006.photobucket.com]][/URL]

I had a leak through the ceiling below. I Got rid of the old Grout and silicone around the bottom of the stall, as well as the old tiles and backer board under the landing as you can see. New backer is already screwed on. The gap on the left is very big. You can actually see down to the lower lever through it currently. Are there any extra steps I should take before I install the tiles and grout them? The builder just put them on, grouted and siliconed around thembefore.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Shower stall leak fix and Tiling. BIG GAP!
Author: packy (MA)

you have a pretty poor installation there.
you just don't butt the bare end of something up against the curb. in fact yours doesn't even butt up to it.
there must be a raised lip at all the sides and the front ..
you might be able to remove the wonder board and fill the entire underneath with hydraulic cement. then apply tile. even then you have no real barrier to stop the water.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

it appears that someone, perhaps the contractor, cut off the lip of the shower pan

that is/was a NO NO

the only proper repair would be a 'tear out' and replacement with an unmodified shower base

all else is a 'rube goldberg' attempt at a patch which WILL FAIL

while the pic is of a tub, the principle is the same - there MUST be a continuous lip so that the pan will overflow locally BEFORE it can leak 'downstairs' - caulk will only work as a temporary patch

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 3 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Is the shower pan recessed into the floor? Why the curb under the door? It looks to me, that where there's no lip, is suppose to be the threshold and there's not suppose to be a raised curb there.

The door and frame should be removed and the curb rebuilt(if a curb is needed) with proper waterproofing to the face of the pan and up the walls, behind the tiles behind where the door frame goes.

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

It looks like they used a freestanding base that was intended to be used with a glass enclosure

Author: m & m (MD)

It is probably a freestanding neo-angle base. If so, the two adjacent sides off the curb are treated the same way.

Appreciate the help so far applause
Author: kirbyand (NY)

The pan is raised above the floor. There are lips on 2 sides of the pam. (diamond ring shaped). I can try and put a barrier behind the tiles, but it looks difficult to get it 100 proper.

Yes, you guys are right, It does appear to be a Neo-angle base intended for glass a glass enclosure. I can post a pic later of the outside. It is enclosed with drywall/tiles except For the door. There is a tub against the wall on one side and the vanity against the wall on the other side. appreciate the help so far.

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.