Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Well water holding tank leak
Author: casblue18 (VA)

Hi all,
First time posting on these forums, I do appreciate all the good advice that is shared here.

I am on well water, and recently have begun experiencing periodic leakage from the pressure relief valve. The valve sits just past the pressure gauge on the well side of the line. With no water usage, roughly every 15-20 minutes it will discharge a few cups of water. The valve is new (replaced within last year). The tank is 20 years old, and I assume the pressure switch is also 20 years old but don't know.

2 questions:
1) any ideas on the cause? I was away for vacation for a week and only began noticing the leak when I returned.
2) if I need to get a professional, am I looking for a general purpose plumber, or something else (well specific?)

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Well water holding tank leak
Author: KCRoto (MO)

I haven't seen a pressure relief valve on a well line before. Are you referring to the schrader valve on the pressure tank ?

Author: m & m (MD)

The relief valve is factory set at ~75 psi. What pressure are you seeing on your gauge? It may need to be adjusted up if your working pressure is close to that. It may also point to another problem in the system.

Author: casblue18 (VA)

My pressure gauge is showing ~55 PSI. Are ALL pressure relief valves shipped with 75PSI? How can I determine the requirement for my system, to determine whether to adjust the valve?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It could be that the gauge is incorrect and that your pump pressure is exceeding the relief valve setting. If so replacement of the pressure switch and 1/4" pipe connecting the switch should remedy the situation.
It could also be thermal expansion causing the relief valve to discharge, especially if the pressure tank has lost some of it's original pre charge. A good plumber onsite should be able to quickly diagnose and correct the situation.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.