Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 removing laundry room sink
Author: heathermarieblackburn (WA)

I need help. My laundry room is very small. I got a new dryer but the sink and counter take up a lot of room. I want to remove the sink cause it leaks and I can't fit my new dryer in. How do I remove the sink and not put a new sink in? I want to stop water and just keep it floor where the sink is. Maybe put a counter but that is it. Thanks in advance

Re: removing laundry room sink
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

There should be valves under the sink to shut the water off to it. Just turn the water off , remove the supply lines, disconnect the drain and sink can then be removed. I like to use caps on the valves so theres no chance of drips from the valves, and use a rubber test cap on the drain pipe.

Thanks I will try tomorrow

Can I keep the test caps on and other stuff on for as long as I want? Its a old house. I can only turn off main water. There is no valves under the sink.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Maybe the shut offs are overhead in the ceiling. If not, you will require the services of a licensed plumber. What material is the sink made of? Did the washing machine discharge into the sink?

Best Wishes

I don't know what the material of sink. Sometimes the water would come up from washer into the sink. I don't think the valves are in ceiling. I have a higher level house and the pipes don't go up. They go down towards the basement.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You could probably use gatorbite caps on the water lines, depending on what type of material they are made of.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you had water backing up into the sink, then removing the sink isn't a good option at this point-- not yet. Get the washer standpipe augured out and get it cleaned to the main inside the house. If the washer was backing up in the sink and you remove and cap the drain, it will overflow from the standpipe next, causing water damage to the wall, floor, subfloor, and anything below the washing machine on the next level down. Get a plumber in there to both remedy the drain issue, and have him put permanent caps on the water lines and drain line, even if the sink is still there, it won't take long to cap all three lines, then the sink can be removed at your convenience.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.