Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Weird Hose Bib
Author: AZSandraB (AZ)

My backyard hose bib had a splitter attached to it. I wanted to remove it because I don't need it and every time I turned off the water it sprayed all over (not sure where it was spraying from, probably where the splitter was attached to the spigot.). Anyway when I took it off and tried to attach the hose directly to the bib, it would not fit. It seems to be a weird size. I went to ACE hardware and they gave me a single hose shut-off valve thing but that wouldn't fit either. Is there an adapter or something I can get?? Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Here are some photos:

The splitter:

The hosebib:

Re: Weird Hose Bib
Author: packy (MA)

you have take 1/2 of the vacuum breaker off the faucet. use 2 wrenches to remove it from the splitter and put some pipe dope on the male faucet threads and re-install it.

um... what's pipe dope?

Sorry, I'm a noob...

Author: steve (CA)

Pipe dope is a paste type of pipe sealant.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The 'spray' was NORMAL as the vacuum breaker (anti backflow device protecting your potable water) was working properly.

Said device is a code REQUIEMENT.

You unscrewed the body of the device and left 1/2 still attached to the hose spigot.

Unfortunately many times the device is LOCKED ONTO the hose thread with a 'break away' set screw.

Using TWO wrenches (one for 'holdback') unscrew the 1/2 device from the hose spigot - may require a LOT of force - AND may damage the spigot's threads irreparably.

OR

Simply screw it back together and live with the 'spitting'.

GOOD LUCK

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

You can see the "locking screw" so if it is just "unscrewed" from the faucet it will strip all the threads away.

Edited 1 times.

in that case just cut a couple of slices in it and remove it. install another one without worrying about a leak from a slice in the threads because the hose washer provides the seal.

Thanks Again! thumbs

Thanks for all the replies. I had not realized the 1/2 the vacuum device was still attached to the splitter. I tried to get it off the splitter but that is not happening for me. I actually put everything back on the spigot and the "blowback" is much worse. Luckily it is very hot here because I got soaked. : ) I was considering replacing the whole vacuum thing but I don't think I have the tools to get it off due to the set screw.

I've learned a lot here, but next step is probably getting a professional to fix it.

Thanks Again!

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

remove 1/2 like before

cut a notch/slice in the remaining piece with a hacksaw juuuust until you reach the spigot's hose threads

the exact angle of cut is unimportant

using a flat screwdriver as a wedge in the notch tap it in until the piece splits/spreads

then simply unscrew

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

exactly.... remember, the seal at the hose threads is made by the washer so a tiny cut in the threads does no harm..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.