Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Lower Shower Head
Author: PeteM (MA)

If your shower outlet is too low, there is a permanent, economical fix: install an S-style shower arm. You screw one end into the wall outlet. When it comes out, it bends up 90 degrees, goes up for ten or eleven inches, and then bends down about 135 degrees, for mounting the shower head.

Well, the builder of our condo put the shower outlet at seven feet, and my 5'3" wife could not reach the hand-held head at all. I found a suitable S-style shower arm, and installed it upside-down. From a technical perspective this was OK: the end of the arm pointed up 45 degrees, and I had the hose and adjustable connector attached to it. However, my wife can still only use the hand-held head if it is loose, and on tip-toes.

If the S arm were bent down 45 degrees instead of up, the connection would be up to seven inches lower, and all would be well. Any ideas on how to make such a bend (or reduce the existing bend)? Or other useful approaches?

The local plumbing supply house wanted to sell me an adjustable shower arm. Reading reviews and from common sense, these things can be problematic - all those moving parts tend to fail. I'm looking for a permanent fix, not another one down the road.

Any help would be appreciated. I have a pic, but no URL from which to post it.

Thanks - Pete

Re: Lower Shower Head
Author: bernabeu (SC)

3 chrome nipples + 2 chrome ells

expensive, but permanent and durable

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

ONe brass nipple into the wall, one chrome 45, and one longer chrome nipple with the handheld attached to the end of it.

also works, but, a chrome nipple into the wall so it all looks the same

OR

(our sponsor sells it)

a long arm used with the short end into the wall:

Author: hj (AZ)

The 45 would be against the flange so it would no show.

Author: enigma-2 (IN)

Another option is to install an adjustable shower arm (used to have one ....). That we you can have it high and wifepo can lower it for her use.

Edited by Plbg Staff

Edited 1 times.

hj,

"The 45 would be against the flange so it would no show."

You are assuming the ability to measure and install NPT threads properly.

However, you are correct.

tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 times.

Thanks for all the help smileys with beer
Author: PeteM (MA)

Thanks. I dug out my original 6-inch shower arm, which was bent at 2.5 and 3.5 inches. A 12-inch 45-degree arm bent at 2.5 and 9.5 inches would apparently put the connection roughly where it is now. Because it would be pointing down, the hand-held attachment would result in a net lowering of about two inches. (However, the picture on the sponsor's site does not assure me that the 12-inch arm would actually bend at 2.5 inches.) I'm reluctant to take this approach for such a marginal improvement now, but it may come to that.

This good idea caused me to take a look at other products for misuse. I see a 12-inch right-angle arm. I'm thinking of putting the short end of one of those into the wall. This should give me the drop I need, although a little close to the wall, perhaps.

Just to make sure I finally get it: all standard shower pipes are compatible, a nipple is a pipe with male threading at both ends, and 1/2 IPS means there is 1/2 inch of standard threading.

So here is a better plan: a nipple out of the wall, with the extending threads starting just after the escutcheon, a 90-degree elbow pointing down, and a 45-degree 10- or 12-inch shower arm. This will present a normal 45 degree aspect, and the arm can be mounted with the long or short side vertical, as desired. I'm going to figure out specifically what I need and obtain the parts.

Thanks for all the help - Pete

Edited 4 times.

Re: Thanks for all the help smileys with beer
Author: Errant (CA)

Interesting thread, as I'm redoing a bath and am moving the "too short" shower up. It never dawned on me that I could make it too tall. I will have a separate hand shower off to the side, so that's not a concern. Any other reason to keep it low?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.