Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 pipelining cast iron pipes inside concrete wall?
Author: Dch0 (RI)

We own a duplex with a concrete wall dividing the basements. Our side is one story with 1.5 baths. The other side is two stories with a full bath upstairs and half bath on the first floor.

We have pinholes in the horizontal cast iron 4" pipes in both basements (blobs underneath but nothing hitting the floor yet). The pipe from the upstairs bath appears to be inside the concrete wall. The pipes visible in the basement go INTO the concrete wall (some at a Y angle, some at a T angle). We assume all the basement pipes go into one single cast iron pipe inside the concrete wall and that this pipe goes out to the septic tank. We had a situation with a tenant who flushed baby wipes down their toilet, but before we figured out the pipe out to the septic was clogged and had it snaked, both basements had water pouring out when the washing machines ran.

We have talked to some pipelining companies and they seem to think the pipes can be lined, but I'm looking for another opinion. We are putting the job off until next Spring because our new tenant just moved in and we don't want to disrupt their lives right now. So, does this configuration of pipes seem like something that can be lined or will we need to rip out the concrete wall to tackle the hidden pipes? If not, is partial pipelining a solution (i.e., lined the pipe from the 2nd story to the basement (inside the wall) so we don't have to rip out the bathroom and kitchen underneath it. Also, can you recommend a brand of lining that professionals recommend?

Thank you very much.

Re: pipelining cast iron pipes inside concrete wall?
Author: KCRoto (MO)

I would get multiple estimates for replacement. It may be more feasible to reroute some of the lines instead of keeping them in their current position, but someone on site would have to assess the situation.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Right, the new pipes may not need to be exactly where the old ones are. I'll take a new pipe over a relined pipe any day.

Thanks for both replies thumbs

Thanks for both replies. Does replacing the vertical drain running from the upstairs bathroom require ripping out the tile floor, vanity, wall and perhaps the kitchen counters/wall that are directly underneath the bathroom?

I could see the basement pipes being replaced and routed outside via new foundation holes and connecting outside to a new pipe going into the septic tank, but we're trying to eliminating the cost of replacing the vertical pipe (including losing rent during the work).

One company gave us a verbal quote of $8,000 for pipelining. Any idea would it would cost to replace the pipes given the configuration I described and how long it would take?

Thanks.I appreciate your feedback.

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

There isn't any way that anyone here could possibly give you an accurate estimate. Not to mention that pricing isn't discussed here.

Thanks for your feedback clap

Understood. Thanks for your feedback.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the costs may be comparable

get a few quotes

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.