Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 existing flange on outside of pvc 4" pipe- can't get it off to replace
Author: lrgould (CT)

I am trying to fix a wobbly toilet. I got the toilet off no problem. Now I am trying to put in a new flange as the old one is cracked, rotted, no good. I can't get it off. It appears to be stuck to the outside of the pvc pipe that leads to the sewer. I've found lots of information on getting one off of the inside of the pipe, but none on how to remove it from the outside. Also. The floor has tiles but whoever installed it previously didn't put it in at the correct height, it is too low. Any help greatly appreciated! I think the flange is plastic of some sort as it bends too easily to be metal, although I am not an expert!

Re: existing flange on outside of pvc 4" pipe- can't get it off to replace
Author: packy (MA)

just chop, smash, bash or whatever you have to do to get the old flange removed. if there are pieces still glued on the outside of the pipe that is fine. destroy the flange but not the pipe..
then get a flange designed to glue inside 4 inch pipe. or one that has a rubber gasket designed for push into 4 inch pipe.

Thanks so much for the reply thumbs
Author: lrgould (CT)

thanks so much for the reply. one other question. it looks as if the old flange was set directly into concrete or perhaps mortar, which has disintegrated in places. should i re mortar the entire area? or can the flange in the pipe hold the weight of the toilet? it also appears that the old flange did not sit over the tile, but too low if that makes sense.
thanks again

Edited 2 times.

Re: existing flange on outside of pvc 4" pipe- can't get it off to replace
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The new flange needs to sit atop the tiles, or at a height equal to the top of the tiles. There should be tapcons securing the flange to the floor.

Re: Thanks so much for the reply thumbs
Author: hj (AZ)

The flange does NOT support any of the toilet's weight. That is what the floor is for.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.