Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower Drain Leak
Author: jstine8585 (IN)

I have a standalone fiberglass shower in my master bath that appears to be original to the house (built in 1970). There is a leak in the drain--as evidenced by a circular water ring on the first floor ceiling beneath the drain. I looked up several videos online, however those all deal with newer plumbing. My drain appears to all be connected in one metal (copper?) piece. Is that possible? just wanting some thoughts on how to fix the leak without tearing a hole in the ceiling. I'll try to post a couple pics with this.

Re: Shower Drain Leak
Author: jstine8585 (IN)

Author: packy (MA)

that's a hard one to tell for sure since there is no pipe in the drain.
I would say that you need a plumber who can pack and pour a lead joint which is what that drain was designed for.
then you can run some proper tests to be sure that was the problem in the first place.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

I am just shooting from the hip as I cannot see the photo. I would open up the ceiling to verify where it is leaking from. Drywall is not hard to fix, but plumbers aint cheap.

right click on the red X. go to properties. copy the address and paste it in the address bar.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It looks to me like they leaded a bushing in the drain and sweated the copper to the bushing.

i really can't tell for sure what i'm seeing.

Author: srloren (CA)

I second opening up the ceiling. Make sure the leak is from the drain, which it very well may be the case. But make sure the valve in the wall is not leaking when you turn the water on.

Author: greekguy7 (IL)

yes... before opening the ceiling... remove the trim around the shower valve and open the valve to let the water run and look in there with a flashlight to see if its dripping in there behind the wall

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.