Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hot water issues in apartment and plumbers are stumped?
Author: jaliu (CA)

We have a unit upstairs in a 4-plex. The other units don't have any issues, but hot water recently stopped working in this apartment. Rarely water might get hot or warm but goes cold again. When the plumbers came and we played around with the fixtures we found out that the sink in the bathroom would get hot if the shower was on. When we turned off the shower/tub water the sink lost heat. I believe it was the same with the kitchen sink, but I could not figure out when or how to get the shower hot. The plumbers were also dumbfounded but one thought something was wrong with the shower cartridge so we replaced the entire faucet set including the rough in valve. I'm not sure how that would effect the other fixtures, but regardless it did not help.

Also we noticed that the shower handle was installed backwards once again (part of the reason the plumber thought it was the cartridge) i.e. the valve is off when it is supposed to be hot and vice versa, but how could that be causing, or allowing the other fixtures to get hot water? Won't reversing the valve still mean that the other fixtures will still be dependent on that valve when they should be independent from it?

We've already called several of the best plumbers around, and no one seems to know what's going on. The possible explanations make sense individually but not together. The water heater can't be broken because there CAN be hot water. If something is wrong with the way things were piped, why would the problem only occur now after so many years? The fact that the sink gets hot when the shower is on is what I think confuses most people. I will try playing around with the temperature limiters, but I assume it will not help, because again, why would one fixture affect the other ones?

I hope someone can provide some sense or help us troubleshoot the problem. We've already spent quite a deal of time and money and our tenants are getting annoyed. Thanks!

Re: Hot water issues in apartment and plumbers are stumped?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Is there a recirculation pump on the hot water piping ?

i don't believe so.

FYI there is one shared water heater for all the units and the shower handle is a single handle Delta Monitor 13/14.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

How many pipes go up from the water heater to the apartments? I wonder if they fed 2 apartments with a single line, and the problem actually exists in the first floor apartment.

Could you be more specific or are you just brainstorming ideas? Please keep in mind the unit CAN get hot water and that the other units are working fine.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If the tenants turn on the cold water to a slow stream early in the morning is the water coming out warm instead of cold? Depending on the configuration of the plumbing, it is possible that you have a cross connection in a lower unit that is only affecting the upper units. Does each unit have a set of valves that control distribution? If the lower apartments can be shut down and the upper apartment tested individually, you could narrow the search quickly. If the problem doesn't occur with just the upper, then turn on apt#1 and see if the water goes cold, then turn off #1 and test #2 and so forth. My first though was a bad check valve in a hot water recirculation system as well, but since you said it doesn't have one, and the shower valve has been replaced, it is most likely a shower valve or a laundry hookup done incorrectly.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Run the hot water in the shower for the 1st floor apartment. Get the hot side of its valve hot. It should stay hot for a bit. Now(attempt to) run the hot water in the 2nd floor apartment. If the 1st floor valve cools rapidly, there's your cross-connection.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

Do you know if the toilets have anti sweat valves? They can create a cross connection. Just another idea to thro out there.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.