Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New carpet and cat urine smell in all water in house
Author: Tee (NY)

I recently had new carpet installed. There is now a cat urine smell in my water supply. When I run the tap in the kitchen and bathrooms the initial smell is cat urine. If I run it for 2 minutes, the smell goes away, but if I turn it off For 5 minutes and turn it back on again the smell is back, and the cycle repeats itself. I read online something about new carpet chemicals interacting with water. Does anyone know anything about this?

Re: New carpet and cat urine smell in all water in house
Author: m & m (MD)

Municipal or private well?

Author: B.Baxter Matheny (CA)

I think this is obviously an odor from the drain traps or goosenecks under your sinks, perhaps from washing down something from that very carpet work. A garbage disposal under kitchen sink can also harbor such odor. Do a lot of deodorizing with Pinesol, grinding ice cubes and using a plunger, before you go into any repair expense. And be nice to your kitty!

Edited 1 times.

Author: Tee (NY)

Municipal

Author: KCRoto (MO)

get a glass and run water into it and don't let any go into the drain and move into the next room or outside and smell it. if there isn't a smell, pour that glass of water down one side of your sink and see if you get the smell, repeat for the other side. If it is the drain, some bleach water will do wonders. If you disposal is the culprit, fill it with a combination of ice cubes and comet powder, alternating ice and cleaner, fill to overflowing. When you turn it on, don't run any water for the first 3-4 seconds then turn on cold water and let it run. To bleach the drains, fill both sides of the sink about 1/3 full of cold water and add a cup of bleach to each side with extra water to agitate. Pull the stoppers and let it drain, then don't run any water for about a half hour, then fill the sinks with hot water and flush the drain.

Author: AmyBuckland (IL)

Ugh! It happened to me previously as well. Honestly, there's nothing grosser and stinkier than car urine. I can't handle it. Look, there are two things you can do: either get a new carpet or hire a professional from [www.carpetcaptain.com] to help you out. I don't think you'll be able to get rid of the smell yourself. I mean, I'm sure you will, lol; it's just that the scent is unbearable to me, and I wouldn't be capable of doing it. P.S. I highly encourage you to get a new carpet. Honestly, I feel like cat urine smell never goes away.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.