Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 wall mounted toilet
Author: hobbes30 (IL)

Please help. I have a wall mounted toilet that keeps leaking when I flush the toilet. I took off the tank and replaced the gasket and it is still leaking right at the connection of the bowl and the basin. I remounted everything correctly, but can not remount the third (back mounting bolt to the basin. All there is is a small opening just large enough for the bolt to fit through so I have no way of securing it properly to prevent leaking at that point other than secure it with a nut between the basin and bowl. I think that is where my problem lies, but have no idea how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: wall mounted toilet
Author: packy (MA)

i think i understand ?? is there room to slide the bolt up thru the third hole and secure it with a washer and nut? then set the bowl, slide a rubber washer down over the bolt, then a stainless washer and a nut?

NO there is no access to that third (rear) hole. So what I did was put the replacement mounting bolt in and placed a nut on the underside of the basin between the basin and the tank to prevent any water leakage from that point, and to level it off, I did the same with the other two, and then on the bottom of the two (front) bolts, I put a final nut where they come through on the underside of the bowl.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

How about pulling the toilet off the wall and then installing the bolt.

If you can't access it how did you get the old bolt out?

Thanks for the ideas and help thumbs

Technically, it is not a bolt it is a pan head machine screw, which I just unscrewed and the nut fell off into the back behind the bowl. Being a house built in the early 70's and knowing what other mysterious things I have found when doing small jobs which magically become huge projects, I was trying to keep it "small" and trying to avoid pulling the entire toilet off the wall. I have no idea what other problems and shotty work was done behind the toilet. But I am confident that something wasn't done right. Thanks for the ideas and help.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

could a bolt and nut like this work?
it would have to be stainless, smaller diameter with a washer or two inside the tank?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.