Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Cut off switch for water pump
Author: Pschwartzmd (CT)

I have a 8,000 gal. Cistern under my living room which is fed by rain water off the roof. A mechanical room containing a pump and a water tank is also below the living room and shares a wall with the cistern.
When there is a drought the cistern is dry but the pump continues to run so that it overheats and the joint connecting a pipe from the pump to the holding tank will leak.

The plumber tells me there is a flotation shut off device that would require drilling a hole thru the cistern concrete wall to connect it to the pump, however we do not know where the rebar is in the wall and he is hesitant to do that.

Is there a wireless flotation shut off device available, or is there a hi/low pressure shut off device that could be used and how reliable are they.

Please provide me with the brand name of the devices you recommend so I could purchase it locally.

Thank You,
Paul

Re: Cut off switch for water pump
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Square D makes a low water cutoff pressure switch. You normally set the switch so that if the pressure drops below 25 PSI, such as when the cistern runs dry, then the switch will automatically turn the power off to the pump. All you have to do then flip a little metal bar on the side of the switch to restore power to the pump. After the cistern has water in it again.

Author: packy (MA)

they make low water cut off switches what screw into a tee on the water pipe somewhere down low. there is an elecrtical water sensor on the end that keeps the power going as long as the sensor is immersed in water. when the pipe is dry, the sensor will shut power to the pump.
there are lots out there similar to this.

Author: hj (AZ)

There are many float switches that can be mounted to the cistern's wall or cover that would shut off the pump if the water level drops, and any competent plumber would know how to install one. The pump heating without water is NOT the worst problem. WIthout water the shaft seals will be destroyed.

Author: OliverJones (TX)

Well, finding the shut-off valve for the water supply in your home is more than just a challenge but innovations in technology have come to a point where you can actually turn off the water valve in your home without having to physically locate it, what is exactly what you are looking for I think. You need a wireless water shut off valve or another more innovative water pump.
Your plumber should have told you that, because if you leave it like that, the shaft seals will be destroyed very soon.

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.