Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Trying to install a new outdoor spigot
Author: calisoldier83 (CA)

hi guys,

I'm trying to install a new spigot on my front lawn. I'm not sure if this a screw on type or solder type. I'm assumed it was a screw on but I couldn't take it off with full power. Not sure if it's soldered on. Attaching some pictures because it's worth a thousand words.

[app.box.com]

Re: Trying to install a new outdoor spigot
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It is sweated into that tee. The good news is that there is a union just downstream from the tee. You'll need to loosen the union and unscrew the copper tee and boiler drain as one piece.

Edited 1 times.

Are you saying I have to change out the copper t junction?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

You could simply replace the washer in the hose bibb if you wanted to.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, a 1/2 brass (threaded) tee with brass close nipples in each end may fit right in there when you remove the copper tee with the adapters in it.
this is a close nipple..

Author: hj (AZ)

NO. Unsolder the hose bibb, install a new "spigot" female adapter and screw a new threaded hose bibb into that.

Author: packy (MA)

seeing the wrench marks on that tee makes me think unsoldering would be impossible.

Author: srloren (CA)

The photo appears to show a copper line (maybe 1/2" but would be better if it were 3/4"winking smiley that has a ball valve with sweat copper tee for the HB and then a union for repairs. I would install a new tee with a MIPS x slip copper adaptor soldered to the Tee. I like to use MIP adaptors because the brass hose bib is stronger than the copper tubing. Same principal as using a female adaptor for a water service riser. Out of the female adaptor at the bottom you can safely install a PVC Male adaptor for your PVC Service to the meter. This is the best way to transition. Good luck.

Author: hj (AZ)

Not necessarily, because the shank on the hose bibb probably kept if from deforming.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

It looks like a Rube Goldburg job from the start. I would just replace it all.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

D'OH

replace it all

use a threaded hose bibb

(for next time)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: srloren (CA)

Pardon my ignorance but what are you refering to when you say "Shank"? Disregard, I understand you to mean the male slip part of the HB. You are correct, I believe it could be removed and a new hb installed.

Edited 1 times.

I'm ignorant as well. I'm not familiar with the plumbing terminology.

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Unless there is a fundamental problem with the hose bibb, I would replace the washer and screw on the hose bibb for less than 2 dollars and a trip to the hardware store.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.