Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Set Screw not accessible on tub spout
Author: SteveG (MD)

We are putting up new tile around our tub/shower in a 1970s home. We are down to the studs. In attempting to take off the spout, the set screw is opposite the opening typically used to get to the screw. The spout can spin counter-clockwise with much effort, but the set screw turns with it, remaining inaccessible. How can I get to it to remove the spout so that we can put up new backerboard? Can I attempt to hold the white plastic piece while turning the spout? How hard can I realistically pull to just try to pull it off?

Re: Set Screw not accessible on tub spout
Author: Palm329 (VA)

Do you own a 4.5 inch angle grinder?

Author: SteveG (MD)

no, I do not own an angle grinder

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Okay, well assuming you want to re-use the spout? There's 2 ways this can go that I know of:

Spout is threaded onto copper pipe stubout, in which case u roll it counterclockwise til it comes off.

Or

If your set screw is so loose it's rotating, just pry the spout straight off.

I'd just buy a new moen positemp and install it now since you're down to the studs anyway- ensuring repair parts will be available longer into the future.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i agree with my ex-baystater friend from VA. since you are down to the studs why not change the whole valve?
yeah it is more work but it will be so much better job..
if your skills aren't good enough or you just don't want to go thru all that, then just cut the copper tube sticking out the wall and solder on a coupling and a new stub-out. (it's not that hard)..

Author: srloren (CA)

Be sure the coupling is close to the 90 so as not to interfer with the new installation of set screw or mips adaptor.

Author: snoogie90 (NY)

Hi Steve,

I have exactly the same problem as you. Could you tell me if you have finally find the solution?

Thanks

Dominic

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.