Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Warm water from Cold faucets, Gas bill sky high
Author: crossover (CA)

Hi everyone, I need some serious help.

Slab home. One 75gal gas water heater. Recirc line, pump on a timer. Works great. Get hot water instantly.

Problem: When recirc pump is running, unable to get really cold water from faucets, and often, it's very warm.
In addition, I work in my garage a bunch and I've noticed that the gas water heater will fire a couple times an hour when the pump is on, and only once every couple hours when it's off. Gas bill is ~$150 while my neighbors' are closer to half that.

Solutions:
I have checked my water meter and I don't have a leak when water is not being called for.

I had the check valve between water heater and recirc pump replaced already, did not make much of a difference.

To test for a crossover, I turned off the cold line, unplugged the recirc pump and then turned on a hot faucet. Flowed full force for 45 seconds then went down to about 10% flow and stayed hot at 10% flow indefinitely.

Need some help on how to figure out where the crossover is. Appreciate your help!

Re: Warm water from Cold faucets, Gas bill sky high
Author: bernabeu (SC)

? shower ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

somewhere, under the floor, your hot and cold lines are close together or touching, so when the pump keeps the hot water line hot, it is also heating the cold pipe. The lines under the floor are not insulated so the water as it circulates is constantly being cooled off so the heater HAS to turn on and off to keep the tank hot. It is a byproduct of the convenience of "instant hot water".

Author: srloren (CA)

A recirc line by its very nature tends to cool down the hot water causing the heater to cycle more often. Recirc systems can cause damage to copper lines over time, most noticably near the pump. You should use long turn elbows when installing these systems to cut down on friction loss and wear and tear on your copper water lines.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.