Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Wax Rings
Author: RenovMan (CA)

We have always had linoleum in our downstairs bathroom. We are putting in a wood floor this week. A plumber told me awhile back that since the wood sits higher than the linoleum, two wax rings should be used when reinstalling the toilet on top of the wood. The flooring guy who is pulling the toilet said he never uses two wax rings. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Re: Wax Rings
Author: Paul48 (CT)

How do you sanitize a wood floor in a bathroom?

Author: steve (CA)

What you need depends on the height of the flange in regards to the finished floor height. Either a thick wax ring or add flange spacers and use a standard wax ring. I wouldn't use 2 rings.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I like to use the PVC flange extenders in that situation. I'll clean the old flange of any wax, run a heavy bead of silicon atop the flange and place the extender in position. You'll then only need 1 wax seal.

Author: m & m (MD)

I would do it NCP's method or remove the flange before the wood floor is installed and then come back after the floor installation and install a new flange on top of the new floor as it should be.

Author: packy (MA)

get a different flooring guy who cares.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

You need WHATEVER fills the void between the flange and the toilet, whether one wax ring is enough, or you need two, or a single thick one depends on the flange location and the toilet.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

for code compliance (which is the MINIMUM spec)

the back of the flange MUST rest ON TOP OF the finished floor

anything else is a 'schlom job'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: FixItGirlie (NY)

No no and no. Your flange needs to be on top and NEVER use two wax rings.

Author: mr leak (CA)

wax rings should not be used to correct for insuffecient height
Wax ring only one on floor flange installed over the finished floor period

Edited 1 times.

Author: toocute350 (LA)

The right way to do it would be to call a plumber.He will have to tear the floor up so he can cut what ever pipe you have, then raise the toilet flange level with the floor.I`ve seen plenty of customers that had your same problem use to wax rings.This is a leak looking to happen.Don`t listen to floor guys, all they care about is finishing the job so they can collect their money.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.