Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Ice maker
Author: guy6222 (CA)

Help, I have a fridge with water and ice in my garage, the only water source is a outdoor hose bib directly on other side of wall from fridge. Can I run copper tubing from hose bib through garage wall, or steel braided supply line. Can someone help me with the easiest method. Also have water heater Ned to fridge. Thanks .

Re: Ice maker
Author: packy (MA)

you cut 1 inch out of a 1/2 copper water line and slide on one of these. it is sharkbite on 3 sides. the branch has a 1/4 shutoff built right into it.
these can be gotten in a kit with 25 feet of 1/4 pex tubing.

Thank you, the only copper pipe I have is above hot water heater, would that work?

Author: srloren (CA)

Sometimes the water heater cold side is hot from thermal layering (hot water rising inside the tank backing up into the cold supply line) so this may not be advisable to tee at this location. Is it exposed so you can get farther away from the water heater? If so you should be good to go.

Actually, all I have is 2 copper lines coming into garage 6 inches... Then they are connected to flexible copper tubing Dow to the heater. Is it not advisable to go through wall to outside spikett?

Edited 1 times.

you don't have to attach the tee in the garage. you can put it anywhere in the house (close by).
under a sink would work..

The only other thing nearby is washer hook up inside house near garage, I can't get to the copper piping in attic. Is there an adapter I can get for my washer faucet?

it depends.. if your cold water hose faucet is threaded into a fitting on the wall, you can unscrew the hose faucet, screw in a brass nipple with a brass tee. put the hose faucet back and in the open port of the tee screw in another brass nipple. screw a ball valve onto that nipple with a bushing in the end to get you down to 1/4 inch. from there you put a compression adapter to accept the 1/4 inch icemaker line.
i know it may sound complicated but it is really easy as long as you have the correct parts ready.
probably take me 5 minutes at most..

Author: hj (AZ)

Get an "evaporative cooler tapped" hose bibb that screws on to yours. It has 1/4" tap on the side where you would connect a 1/4" copper line for your ice maker, then run the copper through the wall.

That same "cooler valve" would screw on to your washer connection and the washer hose would screw to it.

Thanks for the reply thumbs

Thanks, that's what I came up with .... I installed a Bonaire evap a couple of months ago and used that same set up on an outdoor faucet. Thanks for the reply.... Should have remembered that.

Edited 1 times.

One last question if I may, is there a reason that I should not go through the garage wall to the outside faucet that is on the other side of where the fridge is?

No, and it is probably the better way.

Thanks, I appreciate your help clap

Thanks, I appreciate your help ... I'm a novice, obviously!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.