Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Showerhead keeps leaking at pipe
Author: jdola (GA)

Just got a house. So I tried a delta, moen and now I am on a waterpick showerhead. When I screw it on, they all leak where showerhead meets the pipe. Made sure threads are clean. Tried with and withhout teflon. Tried from two wraps of teflon to 4. Hand tightened then even tried another 1/4 turn and all three still leak. I honestly don't know what elso to do at this point. What is weird is if I put the old showerhead on(which is all metal even the nut) and give it a little extra crank...no leaks.

One thing to add, almost every time I take off on of these shower heads, the O-ring is sitting in the pipe. Not sure if that means its not getting a good seal or what, but wanted to provide as much info as possible,

Ironically my brother is a plumber, but on a fishing trip with no cell service frowning

ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Edited 1 times.

Re: Showerhead keeps leaking at pipe
Author: hj (AZ)

Most modern heads come with a flow restrictor/washer that seals to the arm and TPRE tape is usually ineffective to seal it because the threads are made intentionally "loose" so the arm WILL push against the washer.

Thanks for responding. smile

Thanks for responding. I tried both without and with teflon and had the same result. It did not leak as much with teflon, but still leaked a lot. Bothers me that the washer is getting pushed into the pipe. It does this hand tightening so I don't understand how it could seal. Driving me nuts.

Edited 1 times.

Author: srloren (CA)

Try more wraps of Teflon tape. If that doesn't solve the problem get a new arm and shower head. You may have a micky mouse head and or shower arm.

Thanks. Gonna try a new shower arm. Appreciate the help!!!

Author: hj (AZ)

maybe the edges are beveled so it doesn't push against the pipe. Try turning it over. If it goes into the pipe, it cannot seal anything.

Ended up being the shower arm. When I compared old arm to the new one from Home Depot it was obvious that the inner diameter of the old pipe was bigger than the new one, so it was not getting any compression. Once the new pipe was one, put on the shower head and no issues.

Author: srloren (CA)

Cheap crap being sold. You pay more for quality but it saves time and money over time. You have got to watch everything you purchase and think a little before you install.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.