Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 I did an insanely stupid thing!! TWICE!!
Author: sum (FL)

So I got a call from a tenant saying the dishwasher wasn't draining there are several inches of water at the bottom of the dishwasher.

So I went to investigate, may be the pump failed, may be the drain hose is clogged...I pulled out the washer, disconnected power, and just about to try to disconnect the drain hose from the washer end...I thought, well let me check the disposer first because I replaced that two months ago. Guess what, I forgot to knock out the hole for the dishwasher connection confused smiley - I then called the tenant and yes he confirmed he didn't try using it just a few days ago, doesn't cook often.

Being that the disposer knock out hole faces the back of the cabinet I can't seem to knock out the hole without removing the disposer, plus I didn't want to hit it too hard and loosen a seal or gasket somewhere. So I took it down to do it, in the process I had to remove the p-trap. When I put it back together I hand tightened the old slip nut too much and it cracked...so I went to the store to get a new slip nut.

Came back hooked everything up and did a test wash, saw water shooting out through the disposer drain, all is good...oh no water is backing up into the kitchen sink WHAT IS GOING ON? Then I remember when I went to the store to get the slip nut, I stuffed a rag up into the LA Pattern elbow coming out of the wall to stop the gas from entering. I put it in tight and when I came back I hooked up the p-trap and forgotten to remove the rag confused smiley confused smiley so I took everything apart again and fished out the rag again, I was lucky it didn't get pushed deep into the pipe to make retrival a nightmare.

Have you done stupid things like that?

Re: I did an insanely stupid thing!! TWICE!!
Author: packy (MA)

"Have you done stupid things like that?"

not all on the same day ....

Author: sum (FL)

I didn't either! The not knocking out the disposer hole was committed two months ago. undecided

Author: hj (AZ)

Nothing that I would admit, but my wife's uncle worked on a lavatory IN A BEDROOM. He disconnected the "P" trap, then dumped it into the sink. The carpet had just been installed and he compounded the problem by trying to scrub the dirty water out of it.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

only once

the trick is to learn and NOT repeat

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

Yeah, and I've been plumbing for forty years and never had a leak. Stuff happens, usually it happens at five on Friday afternoon.

Author: srloren (CA)

I suggest you get to your doctor and get a physical that includes a memory test. That's what I did and discovered I had a memory deficit. I no longer work by myself. I always have a grandson or helper with me. I think it is called, "old timers disease"....just kidding. All the best.

And I'll bet you have never cussed at a fitting that would not break loose, either.

Author: packy (MA)

the only leak i would see at 5 on friday afternoon would be if there was a crack in my drinking glass.

Author: vic (CA)

"Have you done stupid things like that?"

I have and continue to do and say "stupid things."

Not exactly like "that" however in my opinion worse things than that. smile

Human,

Vic

Author: Mickupi (AL)

Mankind has learned most of what he knows from mistakes. Fire burned him so he was careful after that. He shot a slingshot backwards and knocked a big knot on his head. Man did not do these things again. (most of them) Yes I have done stupid things like soldering a fitting and immediately picking it up. More too lengthy to mention. Don't feel too bad. I have learned people who say they never make a mistake are either lying or they have never done anything at all. Speaking of the word ALL. Be wary of people who say they do it all. They are not usually good at anything.

quote; ) Yes I have done stupid things like soldering a fitting and immediately picking it up.

But at least you could say, "It doesn't take me long to look at a fitting", as you dropped it.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

How about flaring a pipe without putting the flare nut on first.

EVERYONE has done that at least once.

Author: jerco (MD)

Sounds like you had a fun day. Don't feel too bad. Once I removed a sink trap and then poured it into the sink I just removed the trap from. Derp.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.