Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 My bathroom sink has no overflow. Should I get a drain without an overflow?
Author: Bobrob33 (KY)

Do I need a drain with or without an overflow? I've got a couple inches between the underside and top of the sink, so there is room for the holes. Thanks!

Re: My bathroom sink has no overflow. Should I get a drain without an overflow?
Author: packy (MA)

as long as the overflow hole in the drain assembly doesn't show below the bottom of the sink, you will have no trouble.
100% silicone beneath the flange and ontop of the rubber gasket underneath and you will have a nice leak free installation.

Thanks packy! Would you say it's preferable to have one without the holes in a sink without overflow though? I want to be absolutely sure because I have to get the drain assembly replaced because it stripped. I'll definitely do the silicone on top of the gasket too...I was wondering about that but it wasn't in the instructions so I didn't do it.

Author: packy (MA)

if you use the drain assembly with the overflow holes in it, there will be pockets that will catch typical drain yuk. so, no holes in the assembly equals less chance of future smells.

Author: srloren (CA)

I recommend filling your sink with water and a 1/2 cup of chlorine Bleach and let is sit for an hour than let it drain. Do this once each month to help keep the goo from growing inside your drain ahead of the trap. It will smell better too.

Thanks packy. smiling smiley

Got a metal assembly with no overflow holes. Siliconed the underside of the flange and above the gasket (thanks packy) and it worked. Hallelujah. Damn plastic crap!

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Filling the sink and letting it stand, does absolutely nothing to clear the gunk in the drain because it is under the stopper. the mixture ONLY contacts the "stuff" while it is draining.

Bathroom sink
Author: Dat1lexguz (NJ)

I am installing a new bathroom sink and I purchase a vessel sink with NO overflow but my new faucet Drain is for a sink with an overflow. So I installed and yes water came out of the bottom of the sink even with me adding plumbers putty. Do I need to buy a sink drain without an overflow?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.