Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 is my roof stack clogged?
Author: ddbbp (KS)

I was clearing leaves from roof. Figured I would flush the 4" stack. I was able to drop my hose all the way to the bottom of the vent where it turns. At no point did water overflow during the 15 minutes I had water flowing.

However, When I had water flowing at the very bottom of the vent.... it sounded as if the hose was submerged. If I pulled back on the hose a bit, it would sound normal.

I ran water inside the house and everything seems to be draining as usual... but I fear I compacted some stuff at the bottom maybe.

Should I try putting a snake down the vent to see if its partially obstructed or is that a risky venture?

Re: is my roof stack clogged?
Author: steve (CA)

Don't worry about. If water didn't back up through a fixture or vent, it's not clogged.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, it is not clogged but it might be partially clogged.
it won't hurt to run a snake wire down. keep water trickling while turning the snake.
of course if the partial stoppage is the result of years of debris settling in the drain/vent, it might be hard as a rock and need a professional snake to bust it up.
but, as stated, it should be fine the way it is.

Thanks for the input. thumbs
Author: ddbbp (KS)

thanks for the input. I figured if there was a problem I would have had water flowing out of the top while on the roof or worse a fixture inside after leaving the hose on for 10 or 15 minutes.

When the hose gets submerged, it happens when its probably 6" from the bottom / 90. I can quickly pull the hose out and attached a piece of toilet paper to the end and lower it all the way back down.... when I bring it back up, the toilet paper isn't wet... so there isn't standing water in the 90'immediatly after soaking the pipe.

I think there might be negative slope on the 90 (old 70 year old cast/hub) the piece it connects too is slopped properly but the 90 is slanted slightly in the wrong direction perhaps from settling?.... perhaps that's causing the quick accumulation when I am blasting it with a hose.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

don't worry ... be happy

picture the music

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.