Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 starting a vent with a 45 degree angle
Author: roundrightfarm (WV)

Greetings,
I am putting in a master bath and am looking for my best venting options.

I have read that all vents must go vertically until they get 6" above the flood rim of the fixture they are venting.
I have also read that, as far as codes are concerned, 45 degree drops can be considered as vertical. I am hoping this applies to vents below the flood rim as well.

I'd like to vent off my 2" shower drain using a 2" combo wve set at a 45 degree angle. This will take me over a few inches, to where I am below the wall, where I will use a 2" 45 elbow to take me straight up through the wall.

Any problems with doing it this way? I've included a birds eye view drawing of the bathroom DWV system. Any thoughts on better or different ways to do this would be appreciated.

Re: starting a vent with a 45 degree angle
Author: packy (MA)

the toilet doesn't need a seperate vent as long as it is within a certain distance from the lav drain and vent. keep the lav drain and vent 2 inch. the distance the toilet can be from the lav varies by different codes. it is at least 6-7 or even 8 feet.
as for the shower, the code doesn't say it needs to run 'vertical', it says it can not run 'horizontal'.
45 degrees or greater is not considered 'horizontal'..
just curious.. are you running the toilet drain thru all those joists?
it might save some work to put the 3 inch long sweep in the same bay as the toilet, use a 3 x 2 "Y" for the lav. it can run off the 3 inch at a slight pitch because even though it is a vent for the toilet it is washed by the lav drain. again, a classic wet vent.

Thanks Packy smile

Thanks Packy for explaining the codes on horizontal vs vertical vents more clearly. I'm happy that will work for the shower.

Yes, I will have to run the drain through all those joists. They are 14" wood I-joists, which, according to the manufacturers literature, are good to go for a hole that size. This section of the joists is also a much shorter span than the joists are rated for. However, I will have to drill a hole through the exterior band board to get the pipe in there all in one piece, from the outside. Hopefully I can reuse the piece I drill out, reattach it from inside with a 2x4 and seal from the outside.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

making a hole from outside and sliding in a length is always a good idea.
been there-done that..

"it might save some work to put the 3 inch long sweep in the same bay as the toilet, use a 3 x 2 "Y" for the lav. it can run off the 3 inch at a slight pitch because even though it is a vent for the toilet it is washed by the lav drain. again, a classic wet vent."

I have been thinking about this and want to make sure I understand the logic. Normally horizontal venting (less than 45 degrees) below the flood rim is against code, but it is ok if the horizontal portion is washed by another fixture ( and goes vertical within the critical distance from the trap). The idea being that a dry vent that is horizontal might be plugged by waste over time and cease to function well as a vent. However, wet horizontal vents are ok because the washing would keep the vent from plugging with waste. Am I understanding this correctly?

Author: steve (CA)

Yes, you are correct.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.