Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can anyone please look at the image and tell me if this repair is sufficient
Author: leoniddolbir (SC)

in case you don't see this image on the site please click here:
[drive.google.com]

I had leaking shower and called a plumber. They cut out the old copper flange and some pipes and installed the PVC one using Flexible Pipe Connector. It looks like the whole assembly is hanging on the plastic shower pan. I asked my wife to take a shower (as a test smile) and the whole assembly is moving from 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch up and down. Please let me know if this repair is usable or if it's going fail as soon as my contract warranty expires.

Thanks in advance,
Leo

Edited 2 times.

Re: Can anyone please look at the image and tell me if this repair is sufficient
Author: bernabeu (SC)

the repair is garbage

good luck in SC as plumbing is not considered (down here) a skilled trade

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Re: Can anyone please look at the image and tell me if this repair is sufficient
Author: KCRoto (MO)

If the entire assembly is moving it is because the plastic shower base is flexing and isn't supported underneath. The fernco connector that they used will eventually fail because the pipe isn't in the correct place and even though they are rubber, they won't last indefinitely if they are being moved around. I am guessing that the shower was either never installed correctly or it had a leak that damaged the subfloor beneath it and caused the gap to form that is allowing movement.

Thanks for your reply big grin
Author: leoniddolbir (SC)

Thanks for your reply. These are the thoughts I had, just could not express them so elegantly! What would you do to repair the subfloor and the entire plumbing job? Thanks in advance ... Leo

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you want a good repair, you really need to pull the unit and set the base in mortar, and it wouldn't hurt to cut out and remove the old plywood and replace it. If you can't do all that, you can measure between the joist spaces and cut plywood to fit and 2x6's to place between the joists. A jack and 4x4 can help you push everything up tight so it can be anchored. The drain can be reassembled much as it was, but with a glued coupling, just attach the bottom of the p-trap last.

Author: Anonymous User

How much cost you considered for repairing....???

Author: packy (MA)

if the floor is in decent shape you can nibble away a little of it around the drain and squirt some expanding foam under the base. use an extension on the foam tip to get a good amount in there. the expanding foam will not lift the shower base as it is secured by the surrounding walls.
if the piping is going to be concealed i would replace the rubber. if it is going to be exposed, well, i've seen worse..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.