Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Mandatory vacuum break in MA?
Author: PhilipJ (MA)

Hi, everyone. I'm a Realtor in MA, and I am selling a house for a client. The buyers just had a home inpsection, and the home inspector told them that the tank needs to have a vacuum breaker installed on the inlet water line. I've heard conflicting arguments on whether or not vacuum breakers are required in MA. Does it depend on if the tank is top or bottom feed? What about how old the tank is? This tank is a couple of decades old. It's a Trageser CR 40 B, and it is said to last forver. Does that grandfather it in?

Re: Mandatory vacuum break in MA?
Author: packy (MA)

it is required. there is some kind of a button type vacuum breaker on the cold side. just have it replaced with a modern, code compliant one. it is about a 1 minute job.
if you are worried about code, it looks like there are galvanized nipples and a galvanized union on the gas pipe. that is a violation in MA..
also make sure there are 3 sheet metal screws (equally spaced) in evert joiny on the flue pipe.
all simple quick repairs that alicensed plumber will have done in no time.
then if you are still worried, have the plumber get a permit and an inspection.
BTW, when it comes to gas pipe, NOTHING is grandfathered..

Packy, thank you for the info! big grin

Packy, thank you for the info! Since the tank was already installed, will that button breaker valve that you noticed, that's already there, be sufficient? Does the seller have to change it out?

Also, does this look like enough room for the pressure relief valve to work? I know it's close, but, it looks like somebody notched out the brick behind it to give it a little room to breathe.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

The "stem" must have room to raise if the valve has to operate. The T&P probe should be into the water in the tank, but if yours has one, then that valve will never be able to be replaced, and if it has a short probe, it is a violation.

Author: packy (MA)

the vacuum breaker can be swapped in about 30 seconds. if the home inspector flagged it then swap it.
the T&P relief is a bit of a nightmare. just leave it alone. if somebody doesn't like it make a bigger hole in the cement block.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

Those are great water heaters! I wish they still manufactured them. I guess they just last too long.

Packy, thanks for the help, man! I was able to settle the situation without any changes. Buyers are happy knowing that the tank indeed does have a vacuum break. Also, I looked more closely at the T&P, and you can see water stains on the wall behind it, which means that it does work.

That think is a beast. I think it's at least 30 years old? Might even be original to the house, which was built I think in '61.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.