Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 drains clogged have tried everything can think of.
Author: newoldhouseblues (CA)

So we have multiple issues with our plumbing and drainage is a big one. Kitchen sink and master bath both have issues. I tried a snake but house is old and likely cast iron drains which apparently have 90 joints instead of curves. I couldn't get the snake in more than a foot for either. I tried a drain cleaning bladder in both also. Everything sounded good. I flushed the kitchen sink for almost 20 minutes and thought for sure it was clear. It wasn't! Still gurgling and slow. I snaked the vent on the roof. It seemed clear...

I have a plumber coming on Tuesday because I have had enough. My question is should we even bother with a plumber if he doesn't have a camera to send down the pipe? The one we have scheduled does not have one and I think there must be roots or something in the lines. Can a plumber determine this without a camera? I just dont think the thing is treatable with a snakebwhich is probably what he will use. I also don't want him spending a bunch of time troubleshooting.

BTW we had a septic inspection and it was all good. Our house - unfortunately - is on a slab foundation. Thoughts?

Re: drains clogged have tried everything can think of.
Author: KCRoto (MO)

If it is a plumber and not just a handyman with a snake on a drill, he should be using professional equipment which is far superior in its ability to clean the drains. His equipment will also be properly sized according to which drain he is cleaning. When a professional is cleaning the drain, the sides are being scraped clean, and he will run water to was debris down the pipe and out of the system, not poking a little hole and hoping it works. Experienced drain technicians can usually determine whether a pipe is intact, whether there are sags in the line, and can tell you if you need a camera run down the pipe; most drains don't need to be video inspected. Chance are that when he is done, you won't have problems with those drains for quite some time. Let the guy you hired to do the job do what he is being paid for; he does it for a living.

Thanks again for the advice. applause
Author: newoldhouseblues (CA)

Thanks again for the advice. It gives me more confidence about not having been able to do it myself knowing that this is truly a job for a professional!

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

I also do NOT have a camera, and only call a professional company the few times I need one. If a snake will not go through the line, and I think the problem is either the snake or the operator, a camera will definitely NOT either.

Author: Doug E. (CA)

Yes exactly. Be safe first. Like the advice given hire a pro unless you have actual hands on rootering experience. Anyone who has ever had a cable twist knows the seriousness of this maintenance procedure.

Author: saniconenergy (Non-US)

"You can try one of these options:
clean the drain by putting steel wire / spring which are specifically availble in the market for such cleaing only. Pump the drain with high pressure water aftewards. If it doesnt works then call the local plumber to get it declogged."

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.