Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Outside water shut off advice please.
Author: jimpicstuff (TX)

Hi, I'm just trying to see how I would need to shut off water to the house in an emergency and just located the water shut off lever at the front of the house. I tried to move the lever by hand but it didn't budge. I don't want to put too much pressure on the lever until I know what I'm doing as I don't want to force it the wrong way. I've looked at you tube videos but the levers they have on there are different to the one I have. My question is, how should I turn this level to shut off the water supply?

Many thanks,

Jim

Re: Outside water shut off advice please.
Author: ravi102769 (VA)

That is a ball valve, if you turn it ninety degrees clockwise it will be in the off position and just turn it in the opposite direction to turn the water back on. Sometimes they can stick a little if they have not been used in a while but you should be fine.

Author: srloren (CA)

Since it appears to be a little closed, turn it counter clockwise to block water from moving through the valve. I am assuming a direction from the photo. It is so far down that it appears you can't get leverage to turn it. They do stick if not operated periodically. You really need something like a very large Sprinkler Valve handle that you use to operate manual sprinkler valves. Check at HomeDepot they may have something that will work...but don't know for sure.

Author: packy (MA)

good advice.
but, I would soak it down in oil and put some grease on it to prevent rusting away of the handle. it is just cheap steel (the handle not the valve). in a few years when you need to turn it ,it will just crumble.
I would also, with a nice marker, put an arrow inside the green pipe with on/off written.
on<--------------->off

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I would use a shop vac and suck out some dirt right around it, then soak the valve in penetrating oil. You can use a sprinkler handle, or cut a notch in a piece of PVC or 2x4 and make it long enough to drop into the pipe and rest right at the edge, that way you will never misplace it in an emergency. After you get it working, I would put a little lubricating oil (not penetrant) for surface protection.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

@sloren, why would you turn counter clockwise to close the valve? I have never seen a ball valve operate like that.

Author: jimpicstuff (TX)

Thanks for the advice so far. It's much appreciated.

Jim

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.