Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Noisy Flush
Author: gmum (IL)

I have a toilet that flushes a bit loud... at least louder than my other toilet. At the end of a flush it give a bit a gurgle 98 percent of the time. The other 2 percent it is silent at that end of flush. A second toilet in my home does not show any of these symptoms. The one making the noise is a newish toilets that boasts stronger flushes and lower flow where the other in as an old style toilet.

Neither toilet are having a clogging issue and this has been occurring for as long as I have been here (2 years).

Is it just the nature of the toilet or do I have another issue?

Re: Noisy Flush
Author: packy (MA)

first thing to check is the water level in the tank.

Please explain.

FWIW the noise appears to be in the bowl at flushing not during the refill.

Edited 1 times.

too much or too little water in the tank can give to a gurgle at the end of the flush.

SOunds like we are onto something....
I will experiment... thank you.

Edited 1 times.

should be a recommended water level marked in the tank.

I think the tank says 1" below overflow. I adjusted it , now its about 3/4 below the top of the overflow tube.... unfortunately it is still a bit loud. Whats the proper length below overflow?

So if the water level isn't a factor, whats the next step... venting?

If the other toilet in the house (both are vented thru the main stack) is not doing it... can I rule that out?

FWIW: I am not hearing any noise from OTHER fixtures when I flush which I would associate with a blocked vent.

Edited 1 times.

Author: srloren (CA)

Possibly a toilet bowl that has a partial blockage in the pathway from the tank to the bowl. After you have tried other remedies, change out the bowl to see if it is a lemon.

srlorens- Are your telling me to replace the stool?

Am I barking up the wrong tree with the venting?

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If the toilets are the same brand and model, I would auger them all to be sure. If they are different brands or models, I would auger them to be sure. The gurgle/sucking air at the end of the flush is required by any toilet to break the siphon that causes the flush, and the amount of noise is generally due to the design of the stool itself. My only concern would be that the same toilet isn't making the same sound each time, that could be due to paper buildup or similar in the trapway. It is possible also that atmospheric pressure and the pressure in the sewer system could have an effect on the sound as well; negative pressure in the drain could make a louder suction sound, positive pressure might be quieter. If your noisy toilet is too disruptive, get a Toto Drake. A few years ago there was a PDF that had the Map testing and comparison, along with decibel ratings, but I can't find it at the moment. If I find it, I will post the link.

Author: srloren (CA)

KCRoto makes sense. I would add that just because the toilets are the same model does not mean that one is corrupt maybe when they fired it, it fell or the shape changed and it will never work like it should. I suggested that after you exhaust all avenues consider changing out the bowl. Try to keep your hands away from the "stool" unless you have proper gloves protecting your hands.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

As was stated in the original post they are two different models of toilets with no clogging issues. The power flushing toilets are definitely louder but will not present a problem, live with it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.