Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hole found in drain pipe!
Author: pcady (PA)

Taking down a 1st floor bathroom shelf, I discovered that the "expert" who installed the shelf years ago managed to drill through the upstairs drain pipe. The 1/4" hole is about 5' off the ground and apparently never leaked when the screw & plastic anchor were in place.

I prepped with dremel wirebrush & rough sandpaper and plugged it with JBWeld SteelStik as shown below. Seems to be holding fine for now.

Question is, is this an adequate repair or do I need to do something else? I'd hate to have the thing leak sewage-tainted water in the future and have to replace the entire wall.

Thanks!

Re: Hole found in drain pipe!
Author: packy (MA)

repairing a drilled hole is very different from repairing a worn out, cracked pipe.

if you prepared the surface as well as you said you did, the repair is probly stronger than the pipe.
you should have put your initials in the epoxy for future generations to see...

Author: srloren (CA)

When I encounter this type of leak, I cut the tubing through the center of the hole and put it back together with a coupling. You need to sand and flux the tubing and the coupling and solder it without water in the tubing, so drain it down at a hose bib or lower water outlet. All the best..

srloren, he said it was a drain pipe. it looks cast iron to me.
of course they did have copper drains in homes last century..

Author: KCRoto (MO)

That's copper, but that repair will only have to last until the first backup. Copper drains run horizontally get pinholes at the top of the pipe like crazy, and after it leaks, someone will probably cut out the whole thing anyhow. The vertical sections never seem to get the same oxidation.

My flub, thanks for enlightening me

well then if it is copper it should be patched by soldering it closed. it is only 1/4 inch hole.

I have to disagree with soldering up a quarter inch hole... I just don't buy it. But that's me. You guys pays your dues and takes your chances.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

TEMPORARILLY

cover the hole with a blank plastic electrical cover plate

just screw into the plaster - NOT TOO DEEP - ha ha

check it every now and again

when satisfied

either

patch the wall

or

hang a picture

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: pcady (PA)

Thanks for all your informative responses.

So far, the patch is holding fine and since this isn't the main bathroom, I actually like the idea of a electrical cover plate to monitor for the time being so I'm going to kick this can down the road for now.

Cheers,
-pc

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.