Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water pressure fluctuation
Author: hislaws (FL)

What causes my well pump (1 hp Starite) to turn on & off and the pressure to fluctuate all the time. Do I need to set the pressure higher?

Re: water pressure fluctuation
Author: northern (NY)

I'm not a plumber but mine was doing the same thing and the bladder inside the holding tank was shot .I lived with it for a short time till I could afford the new tank but you are abusing the pump making it go on and off .How old is your tank ?

Author: steve (CA)

Is it turning on and off with no water being used in the house? If yes, then there's a leak somewhere.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Three telltale signs of a bad pressure tank:
1. When water is used, the pump turns on and off (short cycles).
2. Push the little button inside the schrader valve and water comes out.
3. Turn the well pump off, drain the pressure from pressure tank and put an air pressure gauge on the schrader valve. It should read 2 psi below the pump cut-in pressure. A low or no reading means the tank is shot.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

On rare occasions, the Schrader valve itself will let the air escape. I'd say 95% of the time when there is no air pressure in the tank the bladder is bad, but not all the time.

Thanks for responding. smile

Thanks for responding. My tank is more than 30 years old, so I'm due.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks , but nope.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.