Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Riser Clamps
Author: gmum (IL)

I need to add a 4" riser clamp to a 4" cast iron pipe.

How hard can I torque on the nuts? Can you crack the pipe using one of these clamps?

Also the pipe comes out between 2 floor joists. I was thinking I would easier rest the sides of the clamp on the floor joists or add 2x4 cross wise and rest the clamp on the 2x's. I assume there are no screws needed.

What is the proper method for using these?

Re: Riser Clamps
Author: packy (MA)

i can't imagine you could crack the cast. but, if there is a concern, cut a couple of strips of rubber (like rubber roofing) to line the hanger with.

no concern other than its old cast iron... I figured it was brittle.

So you guys torque them up till they nuts wont go further?

No dice. I cant fit a support board where its needed to span the joists. I would have to notch a truss to slide it into place.

My other option is only having one side/ear of the clamp supported but I figure that would be worthless?

So I have a 60 year old one story vent (maybe 10') It has strapping at the base of it and there is a waste arm/tee in the vertical vent.... can I depend on that if I am cutting into the lateral portion of the drain?

Edited 2 times.

is there any possibility of getting a prop or two under the lowest vertical hub?
even two pieces of strapping cut to the right length and angled under the hub will do the job.

The lowest vertical hub is in a wall. From the basement I only have access to the 90 where it turn up to the vent. As mentioned, there is strapping there (wrapped around the 90 and secured to a joist. The horizontal portion spans about 8 feet and it too is strapped to the joists in two spots before that too turns vertical and out of the building.

I had 2 plumbers look at it, including the one doing the work and he said don't worry, its not going anywhere I do this all the time! But contrary to that everything I read online about cutting into cast iron calls for riser clamps.

Should I just trust in my plumber (and his insurance!)?

When you support vertically, isn't the weight stressing the joints?

Edited 2 times.

there are more types of hangers than you can imagine.
anything here you can use?

Author: hj (AZ)

You torque them until they are tight, regardless of whether there are still threads showing or not.

If "one side" of the clamp cannot slip down, the other side can't either, even if it is not supported by a board.

quote; I had 2 plumbers look at it, including the one doing the work and he said don't worry, its not going anywhere I do this all the time! But contrary to that everything I read online about cutting into cast iron calls for riser clamps.

I have NEVER had to use a riser clamp when cutting into cast iron. Trust the guy doing the work and quit second guessing him.

Not likely because everything there is for a horizontal line, not a vertical riser.

he said he had perforated strap holding the horizontal pipe. I thought to get rid of the strap and use a real hanger. (on the horizontal)

When you support a section of vertical pipe, are you only supporting the pipe between hubs/joints?

Thinking if a vertical pipe gave way, wouldnt the joints below the clamp bear the stress... pull apart?

Like in my case, where I intended on placing the riser clamp there is only about 16" between a joint and where it exits the roof line.... below that joint there is 10'.

Edited 2 times.

that would give it stability from side to side but no vertical support below. there is a supprising amount of strength to a properly packed and poured and caulked lead joint.

So then proper support of the vertical stack is always depended on how many joints there are?

So what if you cant get to the next closest hub in the attic... are you guys breaking walls each time you cut into the system?

FWIW: Now I have the riser clamp on the short section of pipe in the attic resting on 1 2x4 spanning the joists (which I assume is worthless?)....

I also have a galvanized branch tee'ed off that stack presumably going thru studs and the strapping at the 90 at the base of the stack. The 8' horizontal portion is now strapped in 3 spots as well.

My OCD getting the best of me....

where is the plumber you referred to while you are on this ridiculous journey to support the pipe?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.