Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 I need to vent an outside 3" ABS sewer pipe by window
Author: lngfish (SC)

Hello,

My home is 2 story.

When It was built the lower lever did not have a toilet but it was roughed out for one.

The lower level is at ground level, walk out in back.

I finished the lower level and put a toilet into roughed in plumbing. I did not vent it. I figured it was some how during the rough it, I was not sure.

Most of the times when the toilet is flushed upstairs, UP ONE LEVEL above GRADE, the lower ground level toilet will bubble BURP REAL GOOD and if you are sitting on it you get a *** douche!

Yesterday I dug a hole outside from the lower level toilet and I located the sewer main drain. It is BLACK and has a 3.5 inch OD. I assume ABS. Not sure. I used the inside toilet to aim my shovel for digging. The pipe is at centerline of toilet, spot on.

I have about 1.5 feet of drain pipe exposed and cleaned with allot of room to work but I'm not sure what to do next. the hole is about 3' diameter or so. I want to vent the pipe here to the air pressure that blows up in toilet can blow up here instead of inside up into toilet.

I want to do it to code and I know I want to use correct size pipe and connections and need to keep it away from the window that is right at this drain pipe.

There is a deck just above this also, up about 8 feet from where I dug this hole.

Can I get some guidance of how to T into this pipe line and what size pipe and kind of pipe to run to where?

Must appreciated for some guidance.

Steve
USNR/USCG Ch-Engr Retired

Re: I need to vent an outside 3" ABS sewer pipe by window
Author: packy (MA)

you will need a 3 x 2 "Y", two 3 inch no hub couplings (clamps) and some glue.
cut about 16-18 inches out of the existing pipe. cut the piece you removed into 2 nipples that when glued into the "Y" will come out to be about 3/8 inch shorter than the space in the cut pipe.
take the two mwtal bands and slide them over the cut pipe, one over each side.
put the rubber part onto the piece that is going to be installed. roll the rubber on each end back as if you are rolling up your sleeves.
now simple slide that piece into place, unfold the rubber and pull the metal over the rubber and tighten.
from here you need to run a 2" pipe up and thru a roof or into an existing vent stack.

Thank you very much! big grin

Packy,

Thank you very much!

I really appreciate it allot.

This helps me get my list to go to Home Depot.

Let me make sure I have this right with a question or 2.

1.I use the Y and not a T because I don't want flow up this vent right and I point put it in so the angle of the Y is less likely to allow sewage to go up vent pipe, correct? Common sense here.

2.No-hub coupling meaning the rubber slides over coupling easy, correct? so all smooth.

3.The is a deck above where I will connect to. This deck goes out 6 feet. Can I vent out at deck or do I need to go through soffit on deck above deck?

THANKS bunches!

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

2. no-hub coupling = shielded metal band coupling

3. w/o code compliance terminate vent 7' above ANY occupied area and at least 5' laterally from AND not 'under' any window/door

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Thanks Packy,

I was MEBA AFL-CIO on ships, Operating engineers.

When you mentioned measure twice cut once it reminded me a time when I was working for a non-union company and the crew we had were less savy as the union crews.

I was welding on a turbo generator condenser and was in a confined area and did not want to come down to get more welding rods.

My watch partner was unlicensed and less qualified, I was licensed as I was a USCG licensed engineer and in charge of the watch.

We had to do maintenance on watch on this non union ship yet were responsible for the operation of the machinery.

This aspect was not safe in my opinion.

Anyway, here I am confined, out of welding rods, hot as a MF, and I yelled to my watch partner to give me a hand and get me more welding rods.

He came over and I tossed one down as a sample. It was a 6010.

It was a used one and very short but cold.

He picked it up and off he went to the machine shop.

I waited and waited till he finally came back and yelled up to me that all the ones he found we all TOO LONG!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

No matter how many times I cut the pipe it is still too short!

ps. REAL welders use 7018 - and mirrors smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Thanks for all the help! thumbs

Funnie,

We used 7018's too, but you got me we never used mirrors, well I never did.

Well, I finished the job and it came out sweet!

Thanks for all the help!

Steve

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.