Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 hot water recirc line pinhole - quick fix
Author: henny13 (CO)

Can someone help? I'm just a homeowner that's had to replace small sections of copper pipe about four times on my hot water recirc line. I found another one this morning on my way out the door to go to work, and I closed the valves on the recirc line to stop the water from coming out the pinhole. I've read a bunch on this site about the corrosion erosion problem, and I get it, it makes perfect sense and I will do something about it eventually, like have a better one installed. But my question NOW is can I just leave the valves on the recirc line closed so the water won't leak out the pinhole, and unplug the pump/timer, and not use the recirc line anymore, and still get hot water by normal conventional use of my water heaters? Or is this recirc line something that has to be used if I want hot water at all, because it's somehow been integrated into my hot water pipes throughout my house? I don't really have time to fix this before going on vacation in a couple days! But I worry that another leak is somehow going to appear while I'm out of town!

Re: hot water recirc line pinhole - quick fix
Author: srloren (CA)

Sure if you isolate the pin hole with 2 valves. How is your recirc plumbed? can you furnish a digital photo? Normally they don't install a valve at the farthest fixture where the return line terminates. If you don't have a isolation valve (1/2" ball valve) at that point, I would consider installing one so you can completely isolate the line.

Author: packy (MA)

shutting it will do no harm..

Thank you for replying thumbs

Thank you for replying, I'll have to look at the plumbing/location of valve, etc. when I get home tonight, then I'll for sure post a picture! Thanks again!

Edited 1 times.

I'll try but not certain how to attach the image here. I looked closer and saw that there is a valve on either side of the pump/timer, so I've closed those and it seems to be holding up well (I also unplugged it). My shower this morning took a while to get hot, but it did eventually, so I think I'm all good to go on leaving town without worries. However, I do want to fix/replace whatever I need to when I get back. To describe, the pump/timer is above my two water heaters on its own line that connects to the recirc line. Valves before and after the pump/timer (the ones I shut off). It's mostly in this area that I get the pinhole leaks. Any suggestions on how to fix/replace would be appreciated. I don't really want to turn the temperature of the water down, and I'm not sure how to measure the flow speed. I think the timer is set, but not sure, because I remember getting exasperated with it when it got installed, and decided to set it so we had it on most of the time. Maybe I'll set it so that it's only on in the mornings, to limit it's use.

Author: John the Plumber (CA)

When your re-circulation line starts having these problems, they will keep hapening unless you replace all copper with K, (Expensive) or just cut it out and use Pex and Shark-bites. Note: Typicaly for my area, the pinholes are usualy within ten feet of the tank)

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Those valves would be service valves, so the pump could be removed for repair/replacement. The circulation pipe should still have pressure in it, from where it starts at the last fixture(or where it starts it's return back to the pump).

Author: Shooter (Canada)

Hi henny 13 - You have velocity assisted corrosion of the copper. Water velocity is far too high and is eating out your copper water recirculation piping from the inside.
What pump and line size are you using for DHW recirculation ? You want a very small pump - a Grundfos UP 10-16 BN5 LC which will do 2 or 3 gallons per minute and is specifically designed for DHW recirculation.
You also want to install a CircuitSolver by ThermOmegaTech on each branch of recirculation returns. This will automatically regulate the flow and temperature, providing exactly amount of flow - no more, no less.
Remember, velocity is your enemy. Suggest you use Model CS-1/2-115 which is set for 115ºF. CircuitSolvers are the Silver Bullet for preventing DHW Recirculation leaks.
Glad to discuss.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.