Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Laars Lite 2 pool heater, pilot wont stay lit
Author: deedub (IL)

Does anyone out there have a suggestion on a pool heater.
Its a laars lite and I can not keep the pilot light lit.
I have replaced the gas valve, as well as the generator/pilot assembly.
the heater has a new control dial on it and control panel that came with it.

I did try checking or testing the pressure switch doing a basic continuity test.
it sounded the beep with or without the pool pressure, meaning it was a normally closed circut and stayed normally closed.
Not sure if it should be switching closed or open during the cycle.

strong pilot flame.

Dont have a volt meter but may pick one up.

help! please!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Laars Lite 2 pool heater, pilot wont stay lit
Author: Paul48 (CT)

How does the pilot light? They all have a safety circuit. The flame heats a thermocouple, which generates a voltage that allows the flame to stay on. That's why with some water heaters, you have to hold the button for a minute. It is the time needed to heat the thermocouple.

It has an igniter, typical piezo like a grill.
that works, have good flame.
I imagine I could plug my old thermo couple in and see if that works
Or wire that one and put a big flame on it (i lue of taking my heater apart to change it)
as a test.
It does seem like the voltage is not there.. I am not the electrician so that part is a mystery to me.

Author: srloren (CA)

The Thermo Couple is the problem more than 90% of the time. Address that, it is just a few bucks.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, you don't even need to shut off the gas. a couple of small screwdrivers and a couple of small open end wrenches is about all you need.

thanks, I will try to use my old one.. it must be the new one just is bad.
Does the thermocouple actually generate the voltage.. is there a jumper or test I can do to verify its the thermocouple?

on this heater its not that easy, have to disconnect the gas valve from the in feed pipe, unbolt the unit from the frame and electrical connections, slide the burner assembly out. not horrible to do. just curious if there is a test for the thermocouple or jumper I can put in place?

Author: packy (MA)

lots of videos on thermocouple testing..
[www.bing.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.