Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Faulty Copper??
Author: Hun21 (MS)

Hello,
My house will be 9 years old this December, and it is on a concrete slab with copper pipe for the plumbing. So far I have had 5 water leaks in my slab, the most recent now behind my toilet in master bath. The previous repairs were done be rerouting water lines, so we have not had to break the slab up to date. The original plumber has not done any of the repairs, and is very defensive, and now will not answer my calls. My question is should I be getting some type of warranty from the copper manufacturer or the plumber?
Thanks

Re: Faulty Copper??
Author: Caduceus (PA)

Most states only hold the installer liable for a year unless you have a written agreement stating less or more. It's hard to say if there is a defect in the piping, but usually installer error or actions by associated tradesman during the build can effect the durability of the pipes as they age if there are no manufacturer material issues.

Author: srloren (CA)

Copper under the slab is your problem and it should be routed to the attic if at all possible. Quality of copper depends on where it was made. Mexico, China, Korea all not up to standards expected in the USA. I had a problem with Home depots copper a few years back when they were buying it from Mexico. I came with pin holes in it from their factory. Very thin in places. I had a leak under my slab and wanted to reroute in the attic and was livid when I discovered the pinholes as I was cutting pieces to take up into the attic. Best to buy from a Plumber's Supply House if you can.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

It could be faulty copper however the fly ash in concrete can erode copper as well. If the slab is not broken up and a sample removed you will never be able to know what the problem is. Chances are that no matter what the problem is the manufacturer will deny any responsibility. I would just bite the bullet and re-pipe with PEX.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd say that either the water or soil's ph is out of balance. It is the fault of neither the plumber nor manufacture of the copper. I've saw homes that were only 5 or 6 years old need complete repiping due to a high ph
of the potable water.

Author: bobbytucson (AZ)

find out if the copper pipe was protected , i.e. sleeved while routed under the slab. c.u (copper) should never be in a permanent state of contact with concrete. concrete contains lime , accelerants and other corrosive properties that are volitile to copper. id say if the copper piping was not sleeved or protected somehow from contact with slab , that the failures are most likely incorrect install. its against code to dismiss protecting copper in slabs or walls or any place it contacts harmfull dissimilar materials

Author: hj (AZ)

Not likely after 9 years, and I would be "defensive" also if someone called after 9 years and wanted me to warranty a repair.

Author: hj (AZ)

IF the inspector approved the installation, then it WAS "to code" when it was installed.

Author: bobbytucson (AZ)

those are good points , but still , there is always the possibility that the inspector didnt do his job right neither...i see so many calls here that passed inspection even up to 2012 ipc , but the failures and code violations i still see on the "inspected jobs" are stupidly staggering.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.