Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Acidic well water, pH 5.1
Author: electricpooper (MA)

Just got our latest county water test, and our pH is 5.1. Seems to get more acidic as time goes on.
Typical for Cape Cod.
So we get our drinking and cooking water in jugs from my brother's house with good water.

Our town has promised to put in town water pipes on our road for 40 years, and this year they actually came and surveyed our road. The local town water does not taste good, so most people buy water in the grocery store.

We will hook up to it anyway, but keep the well in operation also, isolating the 2 systems,,,,if and when they actually bring it to our road.

But will continue to get the good water in jugs from my brother's town.

Re: Acidic well water, pH 5.1
Author: packy (MA)

if you have both well water and city water coming into your house, MA will require you to have a testable RPZ backflow device on the city incoming water and to have it tested annually.

Thank you! big grin

We will need to reduce the pressure, as it is higher than our 20/40 well pressure.

Thinking of having the well do the outside hose things, and the town water do the sinks, toilets, indoor stuff.

The town has given us no instructions nor any time frame, at least its not 40 years any more.

Thank you!

Edited 2 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

You may be able to separate the system and use the well for outside faucets and toilets and don't connect the two systems at all. Keeping the toilets and outside hose faucets on the well will keep your water costs down.

Thats a great idea.
When I lived in Bermuda, we had saltwater flush and our drinking water came from our roofs, stored in cisterns.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I don't imagine all your plants will appreciate that PH.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

The groundwater is already acidic, the plants are probably used to it already.

Author: m & m (MD)

That's why lime is made.

We have acid ground loving plants mostly. Once in a while I spread a little lime, and it benefits the grass and adversely effects some of the weeds.
But Azaleas, Rhodies, and evergreens just love it here. The salt air is rough on more tender plants, but we will see how my Crape Myrtles do this year, last year they were great.

Here are some pictures this spring,,,,,,
[www.jcarter.net]#

Author: Paul48 (CT)

That is not why lime is made. It is used to counter the slow acidification caused by decaying vegetation. It sounds like you have the PH covered with plant selection. Holly is another acid loving plant. If the soil gets too acidic, in inhibits the grass's ability to absorb nutrients

We have a huge female Holly tree, and her offspring are all over the place in the woods and in our yards.
Lilacs need a bit of lime too, but I forget most spring, and this year they were spectacular.
This is what we put up with last winter, record snowfall for Cape Cod, and record low temps for 3 months in a row.
Evidently the snow cover protected some of our plants and shrubs, but tipped over a few of my biggest Azaleas and Rhodies. Though we have trimmed them and they came back just fine.

This depth of snow was record breaking for us.
[www.jcdouglass.net]
[www.jcdouglass.net]
The Robins spent the worst weather inside our Holly tree.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.