Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Washing machine drain
Author: cjnspc (MS)

About two weeks ago while doing laundry, I noticed water on the floor. After checking it out, we found water was coming up out of the drain pipe in the wall when the washer pumped the water out. The drain was snaked several times, several solutions of baking soda and vinegar were applied, garden hose was run down the drain and turned on and finally a small amount of Drano was used to clear the clog and, after all this, we were successful and I was happily washing again. Since it is only the two of us, I did not do wash for about four days. The first load - no problem, but the second load, we had water coming up out of the pipe again. This time, we put a solution and vinegar and baking soda into the drain and allowed it to sit overnight. Next morning, we flushed thoroughly with hot, hot water and, once again, I was washing again. I have done several loads of wash since with no problem - until -- last night. The first drain cycle was fine, but the second drain cycle water came back up the drain and onto the floor. We are absolutely stumped.

We can't understand how the washer can drain successfully several times and then all of the sudden, it won't. I use the Purex Ultrapacks to wash with. They are supposed to dissolve in water, but they have a small amount of extra plastic around the edge and I wondered if that could be the problem. Has anyone heard of any problems caused by the use of this product.

Our house is only 18 years old and nothing else in the house, commodes, sinks, tubs, nothing is backing up except for the washer.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Washing machine drain
Author: srloren (CA)

Sounds like a partial blockage that never gets cleaned out completely. You need to call a Professional to eliminate it. All the best.

Author: m & m (MD)

If you are on a septic tank, it may not be the washer drain at all. It could be that after several loads of wash, enough water has been sent to the drainfield that may be marginal to the point where it begins to fill up and consequently fills your drains up. When this happens again, flush toilets and run other faucets. See if there is any back up from that additional drain water.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Vinegar and baking soda do absolutely nothing except make a mess. Yes it foams, but the sodium acetate, water, and carbon dioxide produced do nothing to help drain problems. Call a plumber or professional drain cleaning service; they can get the job done in no time flat, and can guarantee their work.

Thank you so much. smile

Thank you. We were trying out best to handle this ourselves, but maybe it is time to call in a professional. Thank you so much.

Edited 1 times.

No we are on city water and connected to the city sewer system, thank you for taking the time to answer.

Thank you for this information. Several people suggested that we get a product called Liquid Fire and put it in the drain, but honestly, we don't want to cause more damage. Guess we have no choice but to call in a professional. Thank you for your help.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I have never recommended using a liquid drain opener, but if I were going to it would be Liquid Fire.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I don't advocate any homeowner using chemicals on a stopped up drain or acid down any drain line. Acid is great for toilets, and can be neutralized before flushing if the calcium in the toilet didn't neutralize it already. If you know for a fact that all the plumbing is plastic, I have seen draino gel strip the walls of the pipe clean when dealing with greasy buildup that rivals a mechanical cleaning. I always recommend a mechanical cleaning when there are problems, and if you want to use a liquid afterward to clean residual? more power to you.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

A drain camera, may reveal the cause of your issues. Chemistry may not resolve your issues, but rather drain your wallet. The use of household chemicals are great for science projects in school, but not residential plumbing.
You have tried your best, with the help of others, without success. Not its time for professional intervention.... a Licensed Plumber.

Have you changed your washing machines lately?
Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.