Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 disconnecting Apollo Heating
Author: HighAndDry (VA)

Greetings to Plbg.com experts,

I have replaced my Apollo heater with a new gas fired furnace. This leaves me with an Apollo natural gas hot water heater (about 2 years old) with a now unnecessary heating portion. I want to continue using the DHW ports and leave the heating ports disconnected. So far I have turned off the valves for the lines to my old heater and simply connected the two old heater lines together with a pex pipe just in case the valves were to be opened by mistake. I also have a diverter valve to help regulate the hot water when I had the hot water heater adjusted to max in the winter time.

I want to keep using the hot water heater for drinking water since it is fairly new. I also like to keep things as simple as possible. I may have to explain to someone what all of these extra pipes and valves are for over the phone when there is a problem in the future. I am also concerned about leaving this old loop to the heater in place with potentially stagnent water in it since the circulating pump in the old furnace has been removed.

I am currently in the process of removing old PB pipe and updating with pex. I do not have the hot water heater running at this moment. Since I have the plumbing ripped apart I would like to fix now if needed. Here are my questions:

1) Should I plug the old apollo heater lines at the hot water heater ports on the tank?
2) Should I remove the old diverter valve?
3) Leave well enough alone and do nothing.

Thanks in advance for any answers/suggestions!!!

Re: disconnecting Apollo Heating
Author: m & m (MD)

Is the space heating portion of the WH internally separate from the domestic?

m & m, Thanks for responding!!! applause
Author: HighAndDry (VA)

m & m, Thanks for responding!!!

I would assume the two systems are connected internally inside the hot water heater somehow because there were not any other water connections to the old apollo furnace. Two pipes from/to the hot water heater and that was it. How else would you get water into the heat coil in the air handler box???
There are 4 ports on the unit. Two on the top are for house hold water... one for fresh in and one for hot out. Two are on the side of the tank... one marked "to" the heater and one for the "return" from the circulating pump.

Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Re: disconnecting Apollo Heating
Author: Paul48 (CT)

I'd disconnect and plug the heat ports , at the tank. Drain the loop to the old airhandler, and get rid of it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.