Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Rotten Egg Smell
Author: mdandlilly (OH)

My brother recently unclogged my bathroom sink and pulled out all kinds of hair. Ever since then, every time I turn the water on, I now have a horrible "rotten egg" smell. I have no idea what is causing this because it never happened before. Help !

Re: Rotten Egg Smell
Author: packy (MA)

did your brother pour liquid drain opener down the drain?
some of the stronger cleaners contain sulfuric acid which smells like rotten eggs...

No nothing was poured down the drain at all.

Author: packy (MA)

and the smell is not coming from any other fixture/s?

No, it is definitely coming from only the one sink - no other sinks.

Author: steve (CA)

Does the sink have an overflow hole? Maybe the hair was plugging the overflow drain in the tailpiece and now with that open, air freely flows through the overflow passage, carrying the funk smell with it. If you have an overflow, try spraying foaming bathroom cleaner down the hole.

Author: srloren (CA)

Approximately once a month I put a stopper in my lavatory drains and fill them up to over the overflow. I put my thumb over the overflow and add 1 cup of chlorine bleach into the sink then remove my thumb while letting the water continue to run. I have to adjust the water so it does not overflow the rim of my sinks. Leave the stopper in and every 10 minutes or so I come in and take my hand and pull water to the overflow. This bleach cures the smell from the bacteria inside the overflow. I also have a ball tube that they fill batteries with at the old gas stations and I use it with the bleach. I put a beveled washer that we used to use for 3/8" tubing to connect the old angle stops to the lavatories. I hold the washer on and it covers the hole enough to enable me to put pressure on the blow out of the bacteria. It works pretty well. Just be careful with the bleach or you mess up your good clothes. Try it...it works.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.