Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water line increase from 3/4" to 1"
Author: socaljerry (CA)

I have a 4 bedroom 3 bath 2200 sq.ft house 2 story, my water pressure is low, can I increase my water pressure by increasing my water pipe inlet size from 3/4" to 1". From the meter I have 3/4" copper( approx 60') to the house and the house has 3/4" and 1/2" at various locations, I only want to increase from the meter to the house also I would like to install sharkbite tubing instead of copper tubing.

Re: water line increase from 3/4" to 1"
Author: KCRoto (MO)

The first thing that needs done is that you need to check the static pressure of your water. You may already have sufficient static pressure, but a flow restriction in the line can drop dynamic pressure considerably. This happens frequently with pressure reducing valves and water softeners.

I have no pressure reducing valves or water softeners just a 3/4" gate valve at the house I know that the gate gets stuck sometimes and may fall of which reduces the flow I was thinking about replacing the gate with a WOG ball valve.

Author: m & m (MD)

Replacing the gate valve must be your first move.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Technically correct terminology 101: There is no such thing as Sharkbite tube. Sharkbites are Fittings which can be used on various types of pipe; eg: copper, Pex, or CVPC. I love 'em but I would never use one on a water main. As previously stated, rpl that old gate valve with a full port 1/4 turn ball valve. Then use a pressure gauge on your washing machine cold stop valve to see what your static and load pressures are.

Countless homes have 3/4 main supply pipe on 60 foot and longer runs without any problems. Are you sure there's not a pressure regulator somewhere? Is your main supply pipe galvanized?

P.S. In So. Cal. you're lucky to have any water during the drought. The city may have been forced to reduce supply/pressure.

Edited 1 times.

They can have some of my flood, I have extra water just standing on top of the ground still.

Author: srloren (CA)

Excellent thought. I would call the City or Water Company to verify they have not made any changes to the water pressure.

M&M suggestion is first to be considered. Replace gate with ball valve.

Edited 1 times.

I checked with the water co. they say no work but we are on the end of the line so they wont jack up the pressure, they say it will blow pipes at the start of the run, so if i increase line size from 3/4 to 1 from the meter to house inlet will i get better pressure? houses around us have low pressure also P.S. I am ripping out my lawn and replacing with a more drought resistance front yard so i will have accesses to the water line, and replacing the ball valve all at once.

Replacing your water line won't give you any more pressure, but it may slightly reduce pressure losses, and will give you more volume, so multiple fixtures running at the same time won't drop your dynamic pressure as much.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.