Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 securing CI drain
Author: gmum (IL)

Im not really sure this is even a problem.

I have a 60 year old, 4" CI drain system. Its in a 1 story ranch. I assume the vertical portion of the vent runs about 12' out to the roof. The lateral portion is about 8 feet in basement ceiling and then it drops horizontal again about 3' going out the foundation to the main.

The strapping on the horizontal portion looked a little suspect. On the 8' portion they used one piece of now rusty plumbers tape at the 90 going to the vent. In two other spots they used a stiff coat hanger type material that is wrapped around a nail on both ends.

I added 24 gauge galvanized plumbers tape in two spots for piece of mind. I figured if the old 60 year old strapping gave away it would provide backup. I wrapped it around the pipe and secured it to the joists with 1-3/4" screws.

Anyway, my concern is about the vertical portion in the wall. Hopefully it is secure as it would be a major task to open walls or shimmy around in the attic to add clamps or something.

I know its probably impossible to say without seeing it, but how likely would that vertical portion be secured?

Do you feel this is something I should even concern myself with?

If it hasn't crashed to the ground in 60 years can I assume its secure?

I sure would appreciate any light you can shed on this for me.... perhaps I am making a mountain out of a mowhill.

Re: securing CI drain
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

As long as it's secured at the base of the stack it's not going anywhere. There could be a tee in the vertical section as well , with the horizontal arm passing thru a stud. There's a hub somewhere in the wall or attic, it may be resting on the top or bottom plate . It would probably be a quite a job to get the vertical pipe to move at all.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, if it has been there for 60 years, it isn't going anywhere now.
they used to use a bracket inside the wall to support the weight of the stack. looked like a horseshoe with ears for securing from under a hub.

Thanks. I did forget to mention that there is an abandoned waste arm that had drained into the vent. I was thinking that would provide support as mentioned. But then I thought that weight then depended on the hub it connected too.... and the studs it (likely) passes thru.

So how heavy would 12' of 4" CI be? And I think the strapping has a tensil strength of 700 lbs and a max of 100... as per Sioux Chief.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I think 4" service weight is about 8 pounds per foot, and you've got a tee and at least 2 lead joints. thinking
So you're looking at 124 pounds, give or take.

Author: hj (AZ)

Unless that pipe goes straight out the roof, without any plumbing attached to it, there is no way it can settle, regardless of whether the horizontal portion is secured or not.

Author: hj (AZ)

The also have "branches" through the joists and studs that prevent it from moving. I have never used a "horseshoe" bracket to secure a vertical riser.

Author: packy (MA)

'horseshoe' brackets are very common around here. especially in homes that predate plumbing. stacks were run in corners, supported with the bracket/s and boxed in.

Like I was saying it goes approx. 12' vertical out the roof... then 8' horizontal lateral then vertical drop about 3' and then out the foundation. Theres an unused waste arm/tee in the 8' vertical.

How much additional strapping/clamping would you do if you had to cut into it?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If I were cutting it? I would probably use a U clamp and install some support between the floor joists to rest it on while worked. I have used a 2x6 with a V shaped notch as a support before, but it was supported with strapping before/during/after. I wouldn't ever leave anything like that as a means of support where it could be knocked out later.

Thanks... I tried to post a photo but its not working... and I guess without one you cant really say for certain what would need support if it were to get cut..... maybe by my lame description and weight alone you can speculate.

Edited 3 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.