Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Lost a drain snake down the bathroom sink pipes, Now what.
Author: MegatronWasHere (IL)

We own a 2 flat in Chicago. It's an old building built almost 80 years ago. In an attempt to snake out a clogged drain in our 2nd floor bathroom sink, I used a 25ft snake. I made the mistake of not paying attention towards the end and the whole snake fell in the pipes. I freaked out and called Roto Rooter, they used a 30 feet retrieval tool and said they could not find the lost drain snake. The pipes are now unclogged and water seems to drain perfectly and they said these things usually rust out over time so we can just leave it at that. Is this true? I don't know too much about plumbing so I was hoping to consult you guys to get some advice. Where the hell could the drain snake have gone to? Is it down in the sewer? Will this be a problem in the future?
I used one of these drain snakes by attaching it to a power drill to feed it.
[www.homedepot.com]

The whole thing came out and before I can catch it, it fell into the pipes. it's a 2 story building. the pipes seemed to go straight down once it gets to the wall from the sink. I'm at a lost right now as to what to do. Does it go straight to the sewage pipes with soiled (toilet water) waste? The Roto Rooter guy used a 30 feet tool to try to retrieve it but couldn't find it. Do I need to open the main cleanout? I see something like this in the basement.

Re: Lost a drain snake down the bathroom sink pipes, Now what.
Author: packy (MA)

I would have thought roto-rooter would have opened the main cleanout to have a look??

They did not, he just said he couldn't find anything using the 30 feet retrieval tool and there was nothing he could do. I was at work so my wife was home with them. He didn't even send a camera system to take a look.

well, it certainly won't hurt for you to open the main cleanout and have a look.

does the main clean out contains soiled waste? like from the toilet?

it sure does..

Author: KCRoto (MO)

The snake probably fell down the main stack and went another 15-20' horizontally down the main stack if I were putting money on it. Get the main line snaked out and it will probably catch your little 1/4" cable and wrap it up like tree roots which can be pulled back. You probably got a new guy that doesn't know what he is doing. I imagine he was using a 1/4" cable as well instead of the 3/8" 100' cable he should have been using on the sink. Once a tiny cable like that hits the main, it might as well be a piece of yarn instead of a snake.

dammit. the clean out is so rusted, I can't get it open. will probably have to call a plumber

Author: KCRoto (MO)

They will probably have to chisel the cap out, not a big deal. You need professional equipment in there anyway; anything more than a hair clog in a shower usually needs a professional to get the job done properly and effectively.

Author: hj (AZ)

It went as far as gravity and inertia carried it, and a 30' snake was probably NOT long enough. It will rust out, but it make take 50 years to do it. A camera inspection should find where it is, and a GOOD sewer person should be able to get it out.

Author: srloren (CA)

I hope he did not charge you for a job he could not perform. Call a real plumber and ask for a guy with experience. So many of these companies try to use low skilled and usually young guys that are learning as they go. All the best.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.