Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 how to fix bidet with sewer gas smell
Author: wendymb8 (AZ)

My bidet has a terrible sewer gas odor. It was installed a few years ago and has progressively gotten worse. I am now experiencing severe headaches and I think it may be from the gasses coming into my bedroom. I pulled up the bidet and found the drain has no p-trap. It just goes straight down into a 5 inch pipe that goes down into the ground. Is there a way to fix this without ripping up my floor and moving the sewer pipe? I can't move the bidet since there is only one place it will fit into my bathroom.

Re: how to fix bidet with sewer gas smell
Author: ravi102769 (VA)

Are you sure that there is not an integral trap in the bidet? I have seen some with and some without. If there is no integral trap, I would buy one that does. It could also be from the overflow port on the bidet. Pour some bleach down it and run a brush down it and flush as best you can.

Author: packy (MA)

that depends on how much room you have between the bidet outlet and the big sewer pipe.
you can put a p-trap umder the bidet and send the drain to the back wall. you would have to take the pipe that goes straight down and angle it to the back wall as well.
it will mean opening up the floor and some of the wall.
if the big sewer pipe too close, you are out of luck.

ravi102769, that is a new one one me...i never knew they make those ???
if she can get one that would probably do it.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

Sorry if I misled. What I meant was a trap inside or under the toilet, not molded into it. What kind of bidet has a five inch drain?

Edited 1 times.

Author: wendymb8 (AZ)

I tried to post a picture but it wouldn't work. The bidet has a 1 1/4" drain pipe that goes straight down and connects to what looks like a 3 3/4" sewer pipe. The installer (most likely not a plumber) put some type of hard plastic web piece to connect the 1 1/4" drain pipe to the sewer pipe. When the shower is being used the sewer gasses get very strong. That's why I thought a p-trap would help. I could possibly take out the bidet's drain stopper and put in an s-trap. Think that would work?

Does an integral trap mean it has standing water like a toilet?

Does an integral trap mean it has standing water like a toilet?
yes it does..

a full "S" trap while not legal under any code is better than no trap at all...

Author: hj (AZ)

Many bidets are installed to a "pipe that goes straight down into the ground", because the trap is under the floor. You have to look down the pipe to see if there is water in the pipe which would indicate a trap. The only way to put a trap above the floor would be to run the pipe back into a pipe in the wall. I have never seen a bidet with an integral trap, and don't know how it could be done, since a bidet does NOT flush like a toilet.

from original post...
"I pulled up the bidet and found the drain has no p-trap. It just goes straight down into a 5 inch pipe that goes down into the ground."
there is no trap...

Author: hj (AZ)

SInce it is NOT a "5 inch pipe going into the ground", we do NOT know what is under the ground.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.