Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Original toilet had 14" rough in new toilet 12" why is the new toilet to big?
Author: wyowapiti (WY)

I measured my original Kilgore toilet rough in as 14" from the wall to the closet bolt. I purchased a new toto drake toilet with a 12" rough in. I figured worse case scenario I might have more room from the wall to the tank. Well I can't get it to sit on the closet bolts because the water line is now in the way. Basically the original toilet had about a 6 1/2" base from the closet bolt holes to the end of the toilet. The toto drake has an 11" base. I didn't know that I had to account for this. Has anyone ever heard of this? So frustrated.

Re: Original toilet had 14" rough in new toilet 12" why is the new toilet to big?
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Toto Drake toilets have a large round base that makes them easy to mop around and is extremely stable, even for very large people. When you add to the package that it has an extremely quiet and powerful flush, it is one of the best tank toilets on the market.

Re: Original toilet had 14" rough in new toilet 12" why is the new toilet to big?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

the water line 'should' have roughed in 5-6" off center

? was it done properly ?

yes = get new 14" toilet

no = relocate water supply

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, the toto drake has a very large footprint. unfortunately so do alot of other brands.
since your supply comes out of the floor it would be quite a bit of work to move it. not so much plumbing but finish floor type work.
better check the footprint of other brands before buying another.

The water line is directly behind the toilet frowning

So you think moving the supply line would be more of a hassle than its worth? I really don't want to get a new toilet.

Author: m & m (MD)

American Standards' Champion toilet is the same. I've had a few installs where the valve just grazed the base. Your two options are to move the supply over or find another toilet with a similar footprint to your old one.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Actually, the whole process is fairly simple provided you aren't on a slab. The old hole in the floor can be stuffed with some steel wool and a bit of silicone caulking, then the stool will cover the old hole anyway. Install the toilet as normal and seal with silicone around the edge and relocate the water line. When the time comes to replace the floor, the new flooring will cover that little hole. Structurally, it is no different than a knot in the wood of the subfloor.

Excellent! Thanks for all the great information. applause

Excellent! Thanks for all the great information.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.