Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Price Pfister 2 Handle Bathroom Faucet
Author: justme (CA)

Hello, I have a drip from the hot water side of a 2-handle Price Pfister Bathroom faucet. I purchased a repair kit from Lowes. When removing the cartridge I think it broke while I was pulling it out. If I put it back together it is still functional (with the drip), however I can't get the part stuck in the faucet out so I can replace the o-rings and washers. Im sure now I will have to replace the whole cartridge, which is fine, I just want to stop the drip (CA doesn't have the water to waste! haha). I have attached a photo to show what is stuck inside and what I pulled out. How to I get that piece out? I tried using needle nose pliers, but the plastic seems brittle and I don't think it will take much to break it. Thank you for your help.

-Garrett

Re: Price Pfister 2 Handle Bathroom Faucet
Author: packy (MA)

put some towels around the faucet, cover the opening with a paper or plactic cup and turn the water on briefly.
hopefully this will blow the part out..

Author: hj (AZ)

Put it back together, call 1-800-PFAUCET and have them send you two new complete stems. I would not even try to repair them.

@Packy

Interesting. Sounds messy but fun, haha. I'll give it a shot tonight. I hope it works. Thanks for your time and advice.

Edited 1 times.

@HJ

Thanks for your feedback. Even 2 new stems won't help if I can't get that part out right? Thanks for the advice tho, I didn't know companies in the plumbing world sent out free parts. I'm excited now, haha. I hope packy's trick works. I'll keep you guys posted.

Ok, I tried blowing the part out with the water pressure, that didn't work. I tried putting a hook/pic tool down the hour glass shaped hole and pulling it, that broke the center section of the hour glass shaped area, so it is more of a straight line now. I tried sticking a flat head screw driver down that straight line and twisting it to break it loose and I felt the plastic giving way so I stopped. I put it all back together and it still works (with the original drip). Ugh, this thing is slowly becoming my nemesis. Any other suggestions? Looking at the new stem I purchased there is no metal or anything to rust itself stuck. I can't figure out what is holding it so tightly. Maybe I should just pour some CLR in there or vinegar? Wish me luck guys, and of course any help is appreciated!

Author: packy (MA)

will it rotate in place ?

Author: hj (AZ)

Once you get the new stem, it should show you HOW the old one comes out and if you are trying to remove the correct piece. If it is not coming out with what you have done so far, maybe it is not supposed to come out, because I have never had one stuck that tightly. And, it that piece is part of the new one, you can break it apart to remove it.

It will not rotate in place, I tried turning it with a flathead screwdriver and it wouln't budge. The plastic started to break apart. The part that is stuck IS part of the new stem, so I guess I might just try breaking it apart until it comes free. It looks like it should just drop in, there is no notches or anything that would constitue a special installation procedure. I think the plastic might just be fused to the fixture with mineral deposits or something (Hard water here unfortunately). Thank you again for your time and advice. I have never had this much trouble replacing a stem or cartridge before.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Just be careful not to get debris down the waterways and flush the cavity out with water (with a cup over top) to blast out any loose debris before installing the new stem. Apply some silicone plumbers grease to the stem before installation.

Awesome advice, thanks clap

Awesome advice, thanks. I wouldn't have thought to flush it out first. I'll do it tomorrow night and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for being so patient with my noob-ness.

-Garrett

Edited 1 times.

Re: Awesome advice, thanks clap
Author: jiaasim (IN)

Hi!

Im not sure how old this post is, but I'm having this exact same problem! Were you ever able to figure out how to remove the broken cartridge? It would be a great help!

Thanks

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.