Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Is my tub falling through the floor?
Author: rhettmartinez (TX)

My metal bathtub was making a cracking sound...now it has stopped. Mostly. A few weeks ago, while in the shower, I stepped forward and heard a cracking sound that made me think the tub was about to fall through the floor. It was only happening on the front half of the tub--if I stood in the back half, no sound. This went on for about two weeks, then...it stopped. Mostly. Now, I can get it to make a cracking sound only if I step directly on to the part farthest to the front and put all my weight on it. The tub is metal. The house is American Craftsman bungalow, up on pier and beam foundation. There are no visible signs of breakage--no cracks in the tub itself or around the exterior, the grout, the tile connected to its sides, etc. The tub is "installed" into the floor and wall itself (not a pedestal) and everything looks just fine. I looked under the house and I cannot see the tub, but I can see the wood underneath it (the supports? the crossbeams? the studs? whatever) and I cannot see any visible damage.
And now I don't know what to do.
Is it going to fall through the floor?
Is it just a cracked lining that has now completely cracked itself out?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Re: Is my tub falling through the floor?
Author: hj (AZ)

I do not know what is happening to the tub, but it is NOT going to "fall through the floor".

Author: packy (MA)

if the tub is not seperating from the tile around it, it is not falling thru anything. the tub is not connected in any way to the walls around it.
americast tubs are made of steel with a liner attached to the bottom and sides. one possibility is that you have one of those and the steel and the liner are seperating ??

Author: m & m (MD)

Is the tub made by American Standard?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.