Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower backsplash bulging out from wall
Author: flatline403 (WA)

I can push it so that it lies flat, although of course it bulges out a bit in other places then.

Do you think I can fix this by trimming the bottom edge, where it contacts the bathtub? What type of sealer do I need to seal that back up after trimming?

Re: Shower backsplash bulging out from wall
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I would first remove the faucet plate and spout to make sure they are not causing the bulging, if not then you can trim in needed. I use Liquid Nails to secure the surround to the wall and seal at the tub with silicon.

Author: flatline403 (WA)

Thanks. What type of Silicon should I buy? What do I look for? Is it "100% Silicon"?

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Look for Kitchen and Bath Silicone. Not all Kitchen and Bath silicones will adhere well to acrylic tub surrounds. GE Silicone II does and would be my first choice in your situation. You can get it at Home Depot.

It helps to sand the edges of the tub surround where the silicone will be applied.

Author: hi (TX)

looks like the contractor forgot to put cement board behind the shower surround but regular sheet rock when it absorbs water it expands.
If this is the case, you may want to try to pull the plastic to the wall using with stainless oval headed screws with finishing washers if you can locate the studs behind.

[www.psptech.co.th]

[ecx.images-amazon.com]

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you may consider removing panel and reinstalling using 'inside corner trim' which would allow some movement w/o 'popping open'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

If it were "attached" to the wall properly, it would NOT "bulge". Apparently whatever they used to glue it to the wall has failed, and sealing the edge is like trying to fix a broken leg by putting a bandaid on it. The panel probably has to be removed and reattached with the proper material.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

Or there may be a leak behind the wall or from careless showering causing the drywall behind the panel to swell.

Author: Buster908 (FL)

when i went to the mobile home supply store and bought the surround for the tub the associate said this is what you are supposed to use to adhere it to the wall we fixed the wall with a good flat material and glued it with 5 tubs of the stuff. it said on the tube for tub surrounds we got a small bulge but i figure if water can't enter what will it hurt it covers the wall nice!! i see that at the joint where the surround meets the tub it has separated from the wall about 12 inches long i was going to get liquid nails and squirt it up into the gap and put a pressure hold on it for 24 hrs and let it go i think it will be fixed

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.