Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Double Vanity Methane Smell
Author: sixdog76 (MO)

Hello,

I am a complete novice at this, I admit I am terrible. I boought a double vanity for my bathroom, installed it, and ran the plumbing exactly like this photo:

What can i do without cutting into the wall to run separate lines to each sink.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[housekey.files.wordpress.com]

Re: Double Vanity Methane Smell
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If it's exactly like the picture, then there shouldn't be any sewer gas getting back up through the drains.
Maybe the sinks overflows needed to be cleaned with a bleach solution.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you haven't done it, make sure you run a couple cups of water down the drain to fill the trap with water…

Author: packy (MA)

the only possibility is the slip joints on the outlet side of the trap. the inlet side of the trap has no sewer gas to smell..

Author: hj (AZ)

If the connections are loose enough to allow sewer gas to leak, then they would also leak water.

I am going to clear out the cabinets and take an actual pic of my setup today, because its definitely methane gas coming out from the drains.

Here are actual pics of my setup. Be gentle with me I am a novice LOL

[i.imgur.com]

[i.imgur.com]

[i.imgur.com]

(being gentle).. although that is not the way i would have piped the double sink, there is no reason visible as to why it would smell.

How long has that been installed ? That flex connector will catch a lot of soap scum, hair and skin particles and when they start to decay there is nothing to prevent the odor from coming back up thru the sink.

It has been installed for about 10 months now.

Packy - What would you have done differently??

I would cut the sink tailpieces shorter, turn the center waste tee vertical, and drop straight down into the trap.

since MA doesn't allow the 'toy' traps we must use schedule 40 glue on traps.
i would have used a double 'Y' like this..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.