Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 At my wits end!! Double sink with disposal won't drain
Author: Jstafford (CA)

I have a double sink with disposal that won't drain what so ever. I tried to plunge it with no luck, next I dis -assembled the trap underneath and found no blockages whatsoever ever. My next step was to snake the drain past the trap which came up clean as well. From there I went to the exterior clean out and shoved my snake in there (20') which also came up clean. Thinking maybe my snake doesn't reach the clog I shoved my garden hose in and ran it wide open for a few minutes and it didn't backup at all. Once I reassembled all the piping I poured hot water into my sink to feel how far it was reaching before stopping. The hot water is stopping at the trap under the sink but as I said before it is completely clear. I have a air gap vent which seems to be clear but am not sure how to be completely sure of that.

Any ideas what I should do next before I call a plumber?

Thanks in advance for any help

Re: At my wits end!! Double sink with disposal won't drain
Author: hj (AZ)

We sould have to see your drain system, because you seem to be describing a "double trap" problem and a plumber would have to check it and find out how to cure it.

Author: steve (CA)

Leave the exterior cleanout open and try using the sink.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

With the trap off and a bucket under the disposer elbow and you put water in the sink does the water pass through the disposer?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

A plumber has the skills and equipment to get the job done in a matter of minutes, especially with an outside cleanout and a power source handy. If you were trying to use a little hand crank snake, or one that goes on a drill, you might as well stop before you get mad and throw it at something. Drains are best left to the experienced, there is a lot of technique involved.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.